Does He Know? (Part 1)

We walked into the restaurant and I texted Peyton.

Me: we're here:)

Pey: Yay! I'll meet you at the front

Charlie kept repositioning his hands on me. I don't think he was wanting an excuse to touch me, but that he was still afraid I'd dissapear.

He grabbed my hand and rubbed it. Then he grabbed my waist. Then back to my hand.

"I'm not going anywhere", i reassured him.

He nodded, but I don't think he was convinced. Peyton came out and smiled.

"Come on. We're back here", she motioned and we followed her.

I spotted to empty chairs at a table. Them I saw who was sitting at the table. My heart stopped.

Marshall. Charlie had seen him. I knew because I felt his had squeeze mine tighter. I turned to him.

"Charlie, I love you. You know that, right?" I asked.

He nodded, still staring at his enemy.

"Please don't hurt anybody", I begged.

"Hmm?" He asked, trying to look at me.

I grabbed his face. "No one gets hurt, okay?"

He nodded. "Of course".

As we neared the table, Charlie wrapped his hand around my waist with possessiveness.

"You're mine, remember?" He whispered.

I gave him a look.

We sat down at the table. Charlie made sure Marshall could see his hand around mine.

We ordered our food. Marshall cleared his throat.

"So Joanna, how have you been?" He asked.

Charlie squeezed my hand even tighter. I think he was mad that Marshall even used my name.

"Great", I answered politely.

He turned to Charlie. "We've never officially met. But Joanna said you were neighbors".

He nodded.

"I see your back together now", Marshall observed," Break up a few times inbetween?"

He gave a little chuckle. He knew how often Charlie and I split. But he wasn't trying to offend us.

Charlie's grip tightened and his eyes narrowed. I squeezed his leg.

"He's just kidding", I whispered into his ear. He slowly loosened.

I gave a forced chuckle and replied ,"You know us".

After a while, we got our food. Marshall was his friendly self and we talked for a while. Charlie's grip slowly loosened on my hand I took a deep breath. I knew Marshall would never try to offend either of us, but he was sarcastic. And I was scared.

And I had reason to be. Everything was going swell until Marshall said, "Hey Joanna, where'd you get that scar from?" He asked, referring to my cheek.

He didn't know, he was simply wondering, expecting probably I had slipped and fell.

Charlie's muscles clenched and his grip tightened back up. His eyes narrowed.

I smiled at Peyton and Marshall. "I think Charlie's feeling a little stuffy. We're just gonna get some fresh air".

I grabbed his hand at we exited the table. We walked out into the empty parking lot.

I turned my back to Charlie. "He's not trying to be rude", I said.

He huffed. "Not trying! Well, he's doing a good job of it!"

"You take everything too seriously", I said, turning to him.

His hand came out of his pockets and he grabbed me. "He can insult me all he wants, but if he says a word against you......" He didn't finish. He didn't have to.

His eyes went to my cheek. My lips couldn't help from quivering as he softly brushed it.

"Does he know?" He asked, barely a whisper.

"No", I whispered.

"I'm so sorry", he said, hugging me tight.

"Charlie, it's okay. I......" I was interrupted by the door opening.

Marshall stopped as he saw us. "Oh, sorry. Did I...."

I smiled and shook my head. I gently pulled away from Charlie.

Charlie was angry at Marshall. Maybe for ruining our moment. Maybe for looking at me. Maybe for nothing at all.

"Peyton's using the restroom, then we're heading out", Marshall said.

"So are you and Peyton...." I asked.

"It's complicated", he said.

Charlie wrapped his arm around my waist. I nodded. Good for them. I was happy. Marshall was a good man.

"Can we go?" Charlie whispered.

I shoved his stomach with my elbow. "I'm waiting to say goodbye to Peyton", I said.

"So Joanna, did you quit coming to the gym? I haven't seen you lately", Marshall said.

"I've been busy", I lied. I hadn't really. I had just gotten my job back and hadn't even worked yet.

I spent all my time with Charlie, and he'd probably never let me go if he knew Marshall went.

"I see you've gained some weight. Good
For you", he said.

Oh snap.

Okay, he wasn't saying I was fat, although it may have seemed that way. He was simply congratulating me for finding a healthy weight. But Charlie wasn't considering.

"Charlie, he's not saying..." I started to whisper. But I noticed there was no hand around me.

He was heading towards Marshall. And before I could comprehend the situation, Charlie had him pinned up against the restaurant wall. He was yelling something that I couldn't really hear. Well, it is said in panic mode, hearing disappears first.

Neither one them had thrown a punch yet, but I was sure it would happen anytime. Even though Charlie was strong, Marshall had the height and the fact that he worked out every single day.

I ran to them just as Marshall was lifting his fist. I knew this wasn't going to end well for me, but I had to do something.

I squeezed in between them just as he threw his punch right into my shoulder.

It didn't hurt at first. It was numb. Charlie was closing his eyes, probably expecting the blow. When he felt none, he opened his eyes.

I took a deep breath as he saw me in between them. I didn't touch my shoulder, cause that would cause him to flip. But he already knew.

He moved away from Marshall and gently but firmly grabbed me.

He was frantic. "Oh god. Oh god. Are you okay? Where is it? Joanna, I....." He said searching my body.

I closed my eyes to try to endure the pain. It hurt like mad, but I had to remain calm. For Marshall.

But when his hand lightly brushed my shoulder, I let out a soft whimper.

And that soft whimper was too much.

To be continued......