That Was The First

"Babe, is there something you're not telling me?" I asked him.
He faded. His armor was cracked.
"Babe, I have to leave you..." He slowly replied.

I froze. I stared blankly at him. What was he talking about? Why didn't he tell me? Why did he hide it from me?

"Leave? Leave where?" I asked , with no emotion. I didn't know if there was anything to feel.

He looked at me then away again. I could tell he wasn't sure if he was even going to tell me.

"It's not like that," he began, " I could never leave you, Jo."

I gave him a look. I didn't know what it was. But it must have showed how I felt. Because as soon as I did, I was sure I could see his heart break a little.

We both just sat there for a moment. Then a few more moments passed by. And then eventually the tension was too painful.

"Just.... just tell me," I whispered.

He moved closer and held my face up. "You've said before that you don't know if I'm happy here," he began, searching my eyes for something. "And you're right. There's nothing I want more than to spend every living second with you. But there's more. I don't know if this is what you want. And if it is, I'll stay. I'll stay and never look back. But if I'm being honest, I want to be something better. I want to better for you, and for us. And I can't do that here."

I just wanted him to say exactly what he meant. I wanted to say so, but my mouth was sealed.

"I got a call from a record dealer. They want me in LA within the next week. It might not be permanent or anything at all, but I really think it's worth a shot. This could be it for us."

I thought this was it for us, I wanted to say. I thought you wanted me. I thought we were happy.

But I didn't. As much as I felt, I didn't allow myself to feel it in front of him. I wanted him to be happy.

"Yeah. Yeah, babe. I think you should go. You should really..... go," I managed to say.

His eyes smiled a little. "Are you sure?" He asked.

I forced a smile. "Of course. That's amazing. I'm really happy for you."

He pulled me close. "But I promise you it's not for me. It's for us."

"Charlie, promise me one more thing," I whispered.

"Anything, anything at all," he answered.

"Don't change," I pleaded subtly.

He kissed my cheek softly. "I could never."

And that was the first of the lies he told me.

I have a lot to say but we all know what it is. I'm sorry I waited SOOOOOO long for that. Life has really just taken me for a ride. This last year has been such... I don't even know. It's been too much. But here's your short but sweet update. I won't promise an update soon but I'm planning on it. So lemme know what you think!!! Lots of love❤️❤️❤️