Us

I woke up the consistent sound of feet pacing. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Babe, wha...." I started.

He didn't even let me finish. "Jo, have you ever.... Do you want more?" He asked quickly, indicating he had been bothered by this thought all morning, probably.

I blinked slowly, still half asleep. "Charlie, I don't get what you're...."

He walked over and sat in the bed next to me.

"Is this," he gestured to the whole room," what you always wanted? Nothing more?"

I sighed. He'd been like this lately.

"Charlie I'm happy here", I said, as promising as possible.

"So this is it? This is where we'll stay? With our mediocre lives and jobs?" I could hear the strain in his voice.

I was hurt by it. "Charlie, I'm happy here... With you. All I want is to be with you. I don't care if we live in a dumpster, as long as I know you're there", I said, my voice faltering.

He noticed my hurt. He brought his hand to my face and softly rubbed it. "That's not what I meant. I love it here with you. I love you. I'd rather die in a thousand torturous ways than live without you. But I want us to have a better life. If I don't deserve it, than I know for sure you do."

I nodded. "Then go out and do it. Go make yourself something great. I know you can. And I'll be here every day, waiting for you. I'll be here for you."

He smiled. I knew it was what he wanted to hear. He came closer and wrapped his arms around my waist and brought me close.

"Did I mention how unbearably sexy you are in the morning?" He whispered.

I flashed my teeth and stuck out my tongue. He froze and stared for a minute. He just carefully studied every detail of my face.

I giggled. "What?"

He pulled our faces together and kissed me deeply. Breathlessly, he answered, "Perfect".

I smiled. "Now are you gonna become something great, or are just gonna stay here and make me happy?"

"Hmm... I'll go, but making you smile is worth more than anything I could earn", he replied, kissing me softly again.

I sighed. As much as I tried, I couldn't quite understand his growing hunger to escape. He wanted so badly to be content, so he pretended to be. But he had already convinced himself that he couldn't find happiness anywhere near here.

He cradled my head and looked from one eye to the other. "I swear with everything in me that I won't let you down. I'll treat you like a queen."

You already do. That's what I wanted to say, but there was no point.

He softly kissed my nose. "I love you, my sweet, beautiful Joanna."

"And I love you."

He smiled. "I have to go, but I'll be back by five," kissing my knuckles.

I closed my eyes. "Mhmm," I mumbled in reply.

He chuckled. "Get some sleep, babe. I'll see you later."

He walked out slowly. I heard him stop by the door, no doubt to steal one last look. He had done that a lot lately, as though it was the last time he'd ever see me. It worried me.

I wasn't too worried that day, thinking it was like any other. But little did I know that that day was to be the start of a whole new life for Charlie. And a whole new life for me. And most importantly, for us.

Sorry for the short update! But it was kind of an anticipation/fill-in/hint chapter preparing for the rest of the book. The next chapter is taking a new turn. I hope y'all are enjoying this book! Please vote and/or comment if you are!!! Love ya!!!❤❤❤😘
P.S. has anyone else been struggling with patience lately? It takes an insane amount of self control to not just go all 😱🔫 on yourself or others, amirite? (In the best way) 😂😂😂😆😆😆(please take this in a joking manner)

Sincerely, Your author
~COVERS_101~