Consequences

We were interrupted by a crashing sound from the closet.

"What's that?" My dad asked, walking towards the closet.

Oh shhiiiiii

He opened the closet door as I closed my eyes, hoping Charlie somehow escaped, even though I knew he didn't.

Once my dad saw him, he turned to me, stone faced.

"Joanna", he said sternly.

I smiled brightly. "You remember Charlie, right dad? You always said he was a nice boy".

He frowned. "Yeah, until he stole you".

"Dad, he didn't steal me. I ran away. And I happened to choose him as company", I said.

Charlie shyly came out of the closet. It was all almost funny. He wasn't scared of anything... except for me getting hurt and my parents.

"Mr. Marcus, I'm sorry for what happened. But you have to understand that it was a long time ago. I was a foolish kid. And also, I never meant any harm to Joanna. I love her, and I'll take care of her", Charlie said, trying to be bold.

"I know you mean well, but as long as Joanna is under my roof, I will not allow her to see you", my father replied.

I shook my head. "Dad, no. This...."

I was interrupted by my mom coming upstairs. "Hey, what's going..."

She stopped when she saw Charlie.

"Joanna, why is he here?" She demanded.

"Mom, Charlie and I are back together", I said.

"What about that nice boy you told us all about? Marshall?" She asked.

Charlie turned to me. "You told them about Marshall, but not me?"

"Charlie, can we save this conversation for some other time?" I pleaded.

His eyes showed obvious hurt.

He turned to my dad. "I understand why you're upset, but Joanna is an adult and can very well make her own decisions. Good day".

He started walking towards the door. "Charlie, no. Please don't go", I begged.

"Not now, Joanna. No", he said angrily and walked out, slamming the door.

My parents turned back to me. "You will not date that boy", my mom announced.

I shook my head. "Mom, you..."

My dad interrupted. "No, Joanna. You have to listen. He will not date my daughter".

"What? What are you talking about? You're treating me like a little kid! I'm an adult!"

"As long as you're under my roof".... My dad started.

"Well, I'm not under you're roof anymore!" I yelled, grabbing my bags and packing.

"Joanna, honey. I know you're stressed and you have strong feelings for this man, but it's not going to work. He's not the man you deserve".

"What if I don't want the man I deserve?", I said, starting to cry.

"Honey...."

I wipe my tears and grabbed my bags.
"I'm so sorry. I love you both so much", I said and ran out the door.

It felt like a dramatic high school film. But I couldn't listen to them. If they didn't want Charlie in my life, then they would just have to look for their perfect daughter somewhere else. He was perfect to me. He was my perfect.