// twenty-seven //

Chapter 27

Luke's POV

"Cal! Where you been? It's already five," I asked when he finally entered our dorm, dumping his stuff on the floor as he took his shoes off. I'd been on the sofa playing Mario Kart by myself like a loner so it was good to finally see another human being.

"Just... around," he replied, hurrying over with a massive smile stretched across his face. "Guess what? Ashton gave us tickets to a gig! It's gonna be my first ever show, and I'm gonna spend it with you," he giggled, leaning towards me for a kiss.

Sure, I found it strange that Ashton would just randomly give him tickets, but I never said no to a concert so I was just as excited as him. "That's so cool!" I exclaimed when we pulled away. "Who is it for?"

"I think they're called All Time Low," he replied, making my heart pound faster.

"Oh my god! Are you for real?! They're like one of my favourite bands – their shows are so hard to get to these days... you're literally so lucky!"

"Ashton said they're holding small shows to celebrate the fact that they have two new members or something."

"Ahh that's so awesome... I can't wait to go! When is it?"

"Next Tuesday, at 6:30... hey does that mean we'll be home before eight?"

I choked on my own spit, my eyes watering from the half-laughter-half-crying I was doing. "No, no, no, they'll have support acts that take up about two hours of the time – they'll only be on at nine, I'm guessing – and depending on the set-list length, I think we'll be leaving the venue at about half-ten."

He nodded slowly, leaning towards my chest and pressing his head against my heartbeat. "This is so exciting. You'll have to pick something out for me to wear, since you're an expert and all," he demanded, hands playing with the hem of my Fall Out Boy top.

"I've got just the thing for you."

~

On Monday evening, whilst Calum was listening to a playlist of all ATL's songs, I went out for a little stroll to get us some dinner from my favourite chicken place off-campus. You'd never believe this, but they were playing All Time Low's Backseat Serenade, undoubtedly my favourite song of theirs – and I couldn't help but tap my foot and bop along as I stood in queue to order.

Halfway through the song someone tapped my shoulder. "I see you're enjoying the song of my new band," an annoyingly familiar voice spoke, sending shivers down my spine as his breath fanned over my exposed neck.

"Jack? What are you doing here?" I spat, grabbing my hood and shoving it over my head. My eyes glowered at his red streak and handsome scruff on his chin, wondering just why he had to keep showing up.

"I'm in All Time Low now. Guitarist? Haven't you heard the news?"

My eyes widened. I guess recently I'd been so focused on Calum that I hadn't been keeping up with the latest musical gossip, and it wasn't as if I picked up calls from any musicians either. When I was with Calum I wanted to be cut off from the rest of the world, because that was exactly what he deserved – my full love and attention.

"You're in All Time Low? Since when?"

"Since two months ago. I can't believe you didn't know... hey, do you have tickets to our show tomorrow? If not, I can easily get you some-"

"Jack, when will you learn to stay away from me? I have a boyfriend now, and you don't exactly want to be friends, so back off and leave me alone," I stated through gritted teeth so people wouldn't hear. He just smirked and rolled his eyes.

"We all know who you'll be crawling back to in a couple of months. No one wants you, Luke. You're too bent, too crooked. Your lyrics speak that loud and clear. And that boyfriend of yours? I bet he's only with you because of your mum." I grimaced, preparing my fists for some sort of fight. "What? Think about it – why would a perfectly normal piano-playing guy want to go out with a tattooed singer who has a fucked up mind? It doesn't make sense."

I was nearing my tipping point but tried to let my mind go back to those exercises my counsellor had taught me when I had anger issues. Instead of lashing out at him with my fists, I took a deep breath, repeating the word 'calm' in my head over and over till the smirk on Jack's face vanished.

"Screw you, Jack. You don't know anything about our relationship, and this is your last warning."

He pouted, making a face. "Okay, well let's make a bet. If I see you at the show tomorrow, I'll think that you're still in love with me and that Calum doesn't really love you."

"That's a stupid-"

"A bet's a bet. If I win I get you all to myself for an evening."

"Well obviously I'm not gonna come!"

He chuckled. "Then don't! What's so hard about not coming? Can't resist these hips?"

The simmering volcano inside me began bubbling harder and harder till my face was hot with anger. Damn, Jack was so aggravating – and he did it so casually too, as if it didn't mean a thing. He knew he was playing mind games with me, he knew how much I loved All Time Low and he probably also knew that I had tickets.

How could I possibly go with Calum without being seen?

"Jack, go fuck yourself. You're pathetic if you think this is gonna work," I spurted, clearly putting on a front with my furrowed eyebrows and scowl. Although it was my turn to order, I had no appetite left – instead, I left the restaurant and headed for the nearest shop, picking up a box of cigarettes and smoking through it all before heading back.

Calum's POV

When Tuesday finally arrived, I was so happy I could cry – Luke had chosen one of his old All Time Low band tees for me and somewhere in my wardrobe I found a pair of black jeans so I could fit in with the crowd. Luke's eyes were lined in black and he had an array of necklaces and piercings in each perforation on his body.

At six, we left for the venue, a small hidden basement a few minutes' walk from campus. A small queue had formed leading into the main double doors, where a sturdy man with a fluorescent jacket was stood scanning tickets. Above the doors, I read a sign that had 'ALL TIME LOW' written in large black letters on it, the words 'SOLD OUT' in red just next to it.

All of a sudden, Luke burst out saying, "Hey Calum, maybe... maybe we should give tonight a miss?

My heart sank. "What... what do you mean? You even got me dressed up for my first concert," I replied meekly. Why was he having second thoughts? I thought he loved All Time Low?

"It's just... I'm not feeling great," he stated.

"Don't you love All Time Low?"

"I do... but..."

He was looking paler than he was earlier on, and I grew worried for his safety and wellbeing. Was there something more serious to this 'not feeling great'? I took his hand and squeezed it. "We don't have to go if you don't want to."

I didn't realise how coldly I'd said that till he leant in to hug me. "No, you know what? Let's go. Who cares if I get seen? I'll deal with the consequences – this is your night; I don't want to ruin it for you."

Although I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, at least he had a smile on his face. We joined the queue and made small talk till it was our turn to enter the venue.

***

Uhhh just finished this chapter so forgive me if there are any mistakes or shit

Worried for Luke? You should be 😎

Vote + comment for virtual 5sos ATL playlist

Kimmy xx