7.

May flew by in a frenzy of too much work and trying to spend as much time as I could with Gaby. She didn't have any teaching load at all. She was mostly just finalising a few papers and getting ready to move. I felt like I was wasting our last few months together by working so much. I was always exhausted and it felt like I was never at home. I was either at work teaching or out at Joshua tree collecting data.

I returned home from Joshua Tree at around seven one Sunday night to find Gaby lying on the couch watching Push and smoking a joint. I flopped down beside her. I was dirty and exhausted. She scooted up the couch and put her head on my legs and handed me the cigarette.

I took a large draw and held it letting the feeling of light contentment take hold of me.

"You watching my fiancé?" I asked when I eventually let the smoke out of my lungs.

"Yeah, I kinda miss him being here." Gaby sighed, scrunching up her face. "I've really liked living with you guys for the past couple of months. I'm going to miss you when I go to England."

"I know. I'm going to miss you too." I started playing with her hair.

"Can I admit something to you without you killing me?"

"Depends what it is I guess." I shrugged.

She sat up and looked at me gravely. "I've kind of developed a massive crush on Chris." She muttered.

I started giggling uncontrollably. "No shit." I fell on her hugging her tightly to me.

"You knew?" She squealed.

I couldn't stop laughing and I wanted to. She was being so earnest with me and I just found it hilarious. "It was pretty obvious, yes."

"You're not mad?"

"No. I mean have we met? I'm not jealous. Besides Chris is hot, and he's also sweet. I like him too."

"Yeah, but ..."

"But what? You plan to start trying to convince him to have sex with you? To leave me for you?"

Gaby looked really shocked. "No. Of course not."

"So what then? You think my fiancé is a catch. He is. Might be energy wasted on your half, but I can't blame you for feelings, only actions."

I took another draw on the joint, and stood up. "Plan of attack. I am going to order a pizza, because I'm starving, but also way too tired to cook. Then I'm going to run a bath. And then I'm going to skype that guy you're crushing on from my bath."

Gaby blushed and covered her face, giggling like mad.

I went and ordered pizza and sat watching Push with Gaby while I waited for it to arrive.

After eating I took my laptop, a beer and a joint down to the bathroom. I ran the tap and threw a rainbow coloured bath bomb in. While the bath filled, swirling the colours through the warm water, I lit some candles and set up my things on a tray that I could sit over the rim of the tub. I climbed in and booted up my computer.

Chris was listed as available on skype so I hit call.

He answered almost immediately.

"Emily!" He chirped. He was lounging back on a sofa and I assume holding his iPad, as the video was set to portrait and quite close to his face.

"Hello, my love. You been waiting for me long?" Seeing his face made me feel giddily happy. We tried to not be too clingy with each other while he was away. It made life difficult to live properly if all you're doing is waiting around to talk to someone you're pining for. So we had a text daily, call every two days and skype once a week thing going on. Sometimes that didn't work out exactly. We missed each other, we'd sometimes want to talk properly about our days without worrying about scheduled and conversely if something came up we would reschedule. But generally, that's how we did it.