25.

Amelia and I met the designer at her house. She lived in the Hollywood Hills too, so it wasn't a huge drive. The woman's name was Lili, and she greeted us warmly at her door, ushering us inside.

"So, I've been told you aren't really a traditional bride? What's the problem?" Lili asked sitting down at the table opposite us and pouring a tea.

I sigh loudly. "So I guess the thing is, it's not that I don't like wearing dresses. I wear them all the time, but they look like this." I gesture to the dress I was wearing, it was short and had comic book panels all over it. "I want my wedding dress to be a wedding dress, not a weird nerdy costume. But I also hate wedding dresses."

Lili took a sip of her tea. "What do you hate about them exactly?"

Amelia laughed. "Ready for this longest list of things in history?"

"I hate that they're white. I hate that they either seem to be overly puffy or they're way too form fitting, there's nothing in between. I hate how they often seem to have layers and layers of frills. I hate that so many are covered in sequins or other sparkly things when they're otherwise fine."

"So you're a bit of a nerd, but you don't want your dress to be nerdy. What themes are you thinking? Do you have colours in mind?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. I didn't know you could have a non-white wedding dress. I'm not sure what theme the wedding is except it's wedding themed. Our cake might be space themed, if we can agree on what exactly it will look like. But I also don't want a space dress. Our wedding is at a zoo and the reception is on a boat."

Lili laughed. "Aw, space dress would have been amazing. And what do you do for a living? Is it a passion?"

"I'm a zoologist. I work at UCLA. I do conservation ecology. Yeah, it's definitely a passion."

Lili smiled. "That sounds really cool. I've never met a zoologist before. So you don't want form fitting but you also don't want puffy?"

"I would be fine for form fitting on the top, I just like skirts that flare at the hips. But I don't want the skirt to be over the top. I just want it to be simple."

"Would you say as a zoologist, you're into nature in general?" She was sketching like crazy now. The muse had definitely taken hold.

"Yes, I would say that."

Lily sketched something on the pad in front of her. "What are your breasts like, Emily?"

I blinked at her. "Er... what?"

She laughed. "God, sorry. What I mean is can you go sans bra?"

I burst out laughing. "Yeah, they're pretty nice."

Amelia nudged me.

"Are you up for something a little risqué?"

I clapped my hand excitedly. "Yes!"

She finished sketching and showed me. The drawing was of a dress, the skirt was simple, modified A-Line skirt. There was nothing spectacular about it. The bodice however looked like ivy. It looked like embroidery started in the skirt and then the bodice was only the embroidery. I looked at her not quite understanding what the end result would actually look like.

"The skirt is simple, just like you wanted. You seemed pretty certain about that. I thought with the bodice we could just go with embroidery. I'd stitch it onto a very sheer material that is either just a very sheer shade of whatever colour you chose, or just match it as closely to your skin tone as possible but with a shine. I thought the way it looks like plant life. That way you have water, earth, space at your wedding. Colour wise, you could go with greens, light green skirt, dark green embroidery. But I thought it would look best in say gunmetal with black embroidery. It would really stand out like that I think. We could stitch in a few gem stones. Not too many, just enough that it glitters a little in the light."