Chapter 16

"With the fresh sample we have re-tested, we can confirm that there is no error in the gene assessment," the woman seated behind the desk informs us flatly, documents in hand. At the front edge of the white desk, a long crystal plaque reads, 'Cordelia Rosamund, CEO'.

Well, I can see where Kera gets her poker-face from. This woman seems to have a face of stone, without a single crack of emotion showing through. She scrutinizes the documents, thin arched eyebrows lifting just slightly as if she spotted something peculiar but the rest of her expression remaining completely passive.

"It says here that Juliette is adopted, am I correct?" she questions my parents, who sit on either side of me. Mom, seated to my left, reaches over and takes my hand, giving it a light squeeze.

"Yes, we adopted her when she was five," she answers gingerly, as if afraid that I would be affected by hearing that 'a' word.

"But there are no official documents; no identity records, no birth certificate... nothing that states who her biological parents are," the CEO presses curtly.

"No. She was left at the doorstep as a baby," Dad 's blunt answer earns a sharp glare from Mom over my shoulder.

"And why haven't you brought her for any DNA tests to discern the identity of her biological parents and their conditions? That is standard protocol when adopting a child whose gene status is unknown."  

"According to the orphanage, when Juliette... arrived at the doorstep," selecting his words carefully, Dad glances over at Mom who is watching him, "there was a note attached with her that said she was Normal. Since there was proof we didn't feel the need to check."

"You took the contents of a note as proof of her gene status..." Ms Rosamund narrows her eyes, sounding unconvinced.

"The orphanage advised us at the time that it would be best for the child if we focused on having her assimilate herself into the family, rather than dredging up the past, which could just cause a young child unnecessary stress," Mom pipes in. Even though I'm right next to her and can hear everything she says, she still whispers like she's trying not to let me hear, "We try as much as possible to avoid the topic of adoption."

My parents, especially Mom, are extra cautious when it comes to talking about the adoption. Since I was first adopted, anytime they brought up the orphanage or adoption, I would be seized with fear, thinking that they might discover my true roots. This fear of being caught translated into a face of pure mortification whenever that topic of conversation popped up. They just assumed I had some deep-rooted trauma of my time at the orphanage, being left at that hypothetical doorstep by my imaginary Normal parents. Out of worry that it might manifest into a psychological issue, they obliterated 'adoption' and 'orphanage' from their daily vocabulary. That was good for me, since I'm not too good at lying, so if I had to come up with some far-fetched story on the spot, it probably wouldn't work out well. I normally just feign ignorance, that's the easiest way out for me. They decided not to tell anyone new we met that I was adopted, so it always humored me when people told me I resembled my mother or got my father's eyes.

My parents did their best to shelter me, attempting to keep me in this perfect bubble of ignorant bliss; But bubbles burst easily. I popped out of mine early on when I found out about this cruel test you take on the year you turn sixteen, which tells everybody all of your deepest darkest secrets.

I guess some secrets just aren't meant to be told.

"Well, it seems as though that note was wrong, seeing as how she attained a Perfect result," Ms Rosamund says incredulously, giving me a cold once-over.

"We never expected for this kind of result. This is just... completely beyond our wildest dreams," Mom speaks, wide-eyed. "How is this even possible?"

"The only logical explanation is that her biological parents were in fact Perfects," Ms Rosamund explains, "there is no possible way, in all our years of research, that a child of Normal heritage could become Perfect. Gene correction occurs over decades, over generations; it can't happen overnight. A predetermined Border being coded as a Perfect is a rare phenomenon, at only 3.8%. Meanwhile, a predetermined Normal being coded as a Perfect is implausible and completely unheard of."

She lays the stack of papers onto the desk, leaning forward as she speaks, "The media is going to catch onto this story soon. Due to the unique nature of the situation, the news story will most probably be blown up. In order to support our hypothesis, results of a proper parental DNA test to prove Juliette's Perfect heritage, though it is beyond any doubt, would be beneficial. We have stored DNA samples from the blood test she just underwent for ease of future testing. If she wishes to find the identities of her biological parents, we will begin testing immediately. However, by law we are required to destroy the DNA sample upon her request, guaranteeing that a sample is not available for further analysis—"

"Please destroy the DNA sample," I appeal quietly, my first words spoken since we stepped into this office on the top floor of the Rosamund Technologies building. Everyone turns their eyes to me in surprise.

"I don't wish to run the tests," I say, louder this time. "I don't want to find out who my biological parents are." They can believe whatever they want, but I know the truth. My parents were not Perfects.

"And why not?" Ms Rosamund asks sharply.

I fumble for a reason. "I... My parents..." Because I already know my parents were Invalids.

"Don't you want to know the truth? Where they are now? What they're doing? Why, as Perfects, your parents would give their child up? You'll only be able to find them and get an answer to these questions if you know who they are."

"I-I'm sure my parents gave me up for a reason; that reason may still be there when I try and find them. I'd rather not know what would make someone decide to give up their own child, and I definitely don't want to find them, only to be left again, this time when I can fully comprehend their rejection."

Even if I find out who they are, they can't be found. The only thing I'll be searching for is two tombstones in the ground.

My next words I actually speak honestly, "I don't want to hang on to such a sad past... I just want to move forward from here, and live my life as I always have."

Ms Rosamund is silent for a while. "You do realize that your life will never be the same, don't you? Even if you choose to forget your past, your future can never be like how it was before. Life as a Normal, and life as a Perfect... it's completely different."

I take a deep breath, pondering on her words. Life as a Perfect...

I have no idea how any of this happened, or how it's even possible; Whether this is real, or whether I'm still asleep in bed dreaming up fictitious hope. But one thing is for sure: I can't let anyone know the truth, especially not Cordelia Rosamund.

My genes break the code, the very basis which society is built upon. Everything that people believe — about themselves, their DNA, their place in society — revolves around this 'genetic code' that the Rosamund family established a hundred years ago, and continued to reinforce through the generations. If the public found out about a girl born to Invalid parents whom shattered all of society's fundamental understanding by being coded as Perfect, they would be thrown into outrage. This veil of perception that the Rosamund family had contrived would be completely torn down, exposing them as nothing more than conceited frauds.

The Rosamunds would do anything to protect this code, and with it, their family credibility, prestige and means of wealth; even if they have to lie, or resort to other unspeakable means. They would never let a nobody like me get in their way. From here on out, I have to be cautious. The people I become friends with, the people I become enemies with, the people I choose to trust...