Chapter 16

"We're here, students!" Miss Kamilah announces from the front of the coach.

I turn to Sterling, who still appears sound asleep, with his head pointed towards me. Crap. I don't want to be in charge of awakening a slumbering tiger. Though, I have to admit, when he's asleep he does look somewhat... peaceful, innocent almost, without that intimidating demeanor or devious look in his eye.

"H-Hey," I say nervously.

He doesn't move a muscle.

"Hey," I repeat, louder this time. Still he stays in the same position, eyes glued shut. I breath out in aggravation. Students have started streaming out of the coach, and he's still here, sleeping soundly without a single care in the world.

I reach over and tap him lightly on the shoulder repeatedly, speaking loudly, "We're here."

I notice his eye spasm slightly, but they remain closed. What's wrong with this guy? Is he that deep a sleeper? I'm starting to get annoyed, and most of the students have already gotten off the coach by now.

I lean in closer to him, observing his facial expression. He seems like he's awake, eyes twitching under his eyelids, but they're not opening, and he's not getting up. I hit him harder on the shoulder.

"Sterling!"

His right eye pops open automatically, watching me. In an instant he closes the gap between us, so that our faces are only a few inches apart.

My eyes widen and my heartbeat quickens. He looks down at me past his long eyelashes and cocks his head to the side. I swallow apprehensively, cheeks turning warm. He's way too close for comfort. Again.

"I'm awake," he speaks smoothly, and grins smugly, having ruffled up my feathers. He's managed to make me uneasy at least three times today, and it's not even ten 0'clock.

"Is it that hard to get my name past your lips?" His words make my cheek flush even hotter.

I pull away quickly. My reaction just makes him snigger.

"Come on, ally. We're the only ones left on the bus. If we don't go soon, we'll miss out on some of the wholesome camping fun!"

With that, he stands up and makes his way out of the coach. I sit for a few more seconds collecting myself, then exit the vehicle.

Being alone with him seems awfully dangerous. This boy isn't very well-informed on the concept of personal space, and every time we're in a one-on-one situation, he likes to remind me of the fact. He makes me feel so... uncomfortable, and nervous. It can't be good for my health to have my heart rate constantly racing all the time. Everything seems like a game to him, and I'm like his little plaything. He may not care about what anyone else in this entire school thinks of him, but I do. I actually need to survive the next two years in this damn prison and he's not helping in making things any easier for me.

I swear to myself that from here on out I'll do everything in my power to make sure I don't get myself into anymore one-on-one situations with that guy.

But at the same time a tiny voice in my head wants me to find out more about him, and some of those secrets he harbors. I immediately extinguish that voice and walk into the crowd of students collecting their luggages by the side of the vehicle.

Most of the uncollected luggages have been organized into neat rows, waiting for their owner to pick them up. I eye the rows up and down, but don't spot my bag.

I walk to the other side of the crowd to check, and notice it half unzipped, and thrown to the side, so that some of my things have fallen out and are strew across the dirt.