Chapter 23

Juliette

I should've seen this coming. I did see this coming. So why did it still bear such a hefty blow on me?

If I had 'received' the first half of my birth certificate via personal delivery by a little birdy, it's natural to expect the second half to appear soon enough. What's the most surprising is that I was surprised by it.

'Thomas Cage, Invalid'. 'Willow Quinton, Invalid.'

Josephine Cage... Invalid.

I guess it's different knowing it at the back of your mind and seeing your supposed identity printed on paper in black and white. It's like the past two years where I'd put that dreaded word behind me and lived my life without that stigma weighing on my shoulders never happened, and here I am again, lurking the school halls with my shoulders slumped and eyes flitting, feeling as if there's someone at every corner waiting to expose my deep dark secret.

I'm acting as paranoid as that one character in every horror movie who always goes "Don't go in there", "Are you crazy? I hear this place is haunted", "What if something happens?", and is therefore officially dubbed as the Debbie Downer of the group. Well I'd prefer to call her Rational Rachel because something always happens and Debbie is usually one of the first to go down! Though I have to admit, this is based on limited research since I normally don't get this far into the movie. I'd have pretended to be asleep when the title sequence was rolling.

Oh man, all this talk of horror movies is just making me even more on edge, which is probably why I physically jump when I feel two hands placed on my shoulders, forcefully flinging them off before spinning around and assuming a fighting stance with my legs planted and arms square.

"Hold it, Karate Kid, it's just me."

I mentally curse when I see who it is.

"Sterling! I just—"

"Have been blowing me off the whole day?"

"Well yes... I mean no! I mean... You look good today, did you do something to your hair?"

"It's called a bedhead. I got in a great nap during that economics lecture — The same one where you opted to sit right in the front row rather than next to me, I noticed. You know I'd never sit in front, and usually neither would you... so the fact that you did only means one thing..."

"I've developed a newfound love for economics?"

He suddenly has me backed into the wall behind me with a hand pressed on the surface on either side of my head, trapping me. He leans in, studying my features carefully. I stop breathing, eyes wide as his burn through mine. "You're intentionally avoiding me."

"Pshh... No! Why would I avoid you?" My voice is so high I sound like Minnie Mouse on helium. A deaf man could sense my lie a thousand miles away.

Sterling gives me a look like 'why do you even try?' and I bow my head in shame.

"Come with me now." I noticed that it was a statement, not a question. His hand on my wrist dragging me down the hall confirms my suspicion. Major déjà vu here... and just like that previous time on the first day of school, there's no use trying to shake myself free of his grip, and other students don't bother trying to help me the entire way I'm dragged across campus, until we reach the studio.

He still manages to keep a tight grip on me while bending down to retrieve the key from the flower pot and unlocking the door with his free hand. Only when the door is secured shut does he finally release me, though still standing in front of the doorway so I can't attempt an escape.