Chapter 25

He stands up.

"Your... mother?"

"My real mother. Willow Quinton."

He runs his fingers through his hair nervously. "So our mothers knew each other?"

"But how? Y-Your mother was a Perfect, mine was an Invalid. My real parents didn't even live in the city. I-It doesn't make any sense." I massage my temple. This is giving me a headache.

Sterling puts his hands on my shoulders and shakes me gently. "Do you know what this means, Juliette?"

I look at him with raised eyebrows.

His face breaks into a wide grin, eyes crinkling.

"I knew you long before Aquatic Airhead did!"

He claps his hands together and raises his fists in the air as if he just emerged first place in the Olympics. Oh yes, because winning the event 'who was the first to play dress-up with Juliette' is such an accomplishment. I'd be honored if I wasn't so unamused.

"Are you serious, Crawford? That's what you care about right now?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's just..." he grins, coming closer to me, "I always felt like we had this connection. I was instantly drawn to you from the moment I saw you, as if it was instinct. Now I know why. We're connected. Our mothers are connected. Everything makes sense to me now."

Not to me. There are still so many questions I have, about my mother, who she was, her past...

As if he reads my mind, he clasps onto my wrists, easing my fingers away from my eyebrows that I hadn't even realized I'd been tugging on, and asks, "Have you ever been curious about your mother?"

"I've always wanted to know about her, and what happened to her. But I never knew how to even begin finding out."

"Well now you do, and I can help you, if it's what you want." He stares deep into my eyes with such warmth that I automatically calm down, feeling reassured by his gaze. "It looks like my mother could be the key to finding out what happened to yours. If we can find her, you may be able to get all your answers."

The idea sends a jolt of excitement and fear through me at the same time.

"Would you be okay with that? Seeing your mother again after all these years?"

His eyes turn sad, but he smiles slightly. "I need my answers too. I can't put off seeing her forever."

"Let's do it then. It's time to open up the can of worms labeled 'Mommy Dearest'."

I give a lopsided grin, looking up into his twinkling grey eyes.

He smirks back.