Chapter 30

Juliette

Huh, I've never been in a police station before. Never thought I'd find myself in one... unless there's a law against being a freak of nature. But as I rushed in to see Alex slumped in a chair by the side of the room with his head in his hands, I'd spared no time to rush to him and envelope him in a crushing hug, so I didn't have much time for a formal tour of the place.

I don't think I'd ever seen him so... low. He looked as low as the deep sea — something he's finally unable to swim himself out of. It killed me to see him like that. My romantic feelings for him might be gone, but the emotional attachment I harbor from being best friends with him for a bulk of my life is still there. That doesn't go away, even with someone else in my life I deeply care about.

I'd stayed with him for two hours while their lawyer sorted out the legal issues. Mr Blackwood had to be detained for tonight and subject to further questioning in the morning. For now there's nothing more we can do, so Alex decides to just head home and attempt to get some much needed sleep after all this mayhem.

"Julie... could you... come stay with me? Just for tonight? I don't want to be in that big house all alone... I... I don't know what I'll do..."

He looks at me with such glistening hope in his sad blue eyes, and there's just no possible way I can reject him. I abandoned him the last time...

I have to be there for him, this time.

As we're walking out of the station I check my phone and see missed calls and texts from Sterling

Sterling: 'Where are you, Juliette?'

Sterling: 'Are you okay?'

Sterling: 'Please tell me you're okay...'

Sterling: 'I'll be waiting.'

Crap. Crap on a stick. Crap on a stick shoved into the back of my stupid forgetful head.

I was supposed to meet Sterling two hours ago. It's already dark out, and it's snowing.

There's no way he's still waiting for me... is there?

The town center is only a few blocks away. I need to check... just in case.

"Alex, I'll meet you back at the house in a bit, okay? I need to check something first... it's really important. But I promise I'll be there. Don't touch any drinks while I'm not there. You'll get into a ton of trouble with me."

Without so much as waiting for a reply I take off in a sprint towards the town center.

I was in too much of a rush when I got the call from Alex and left the coffee shop, so I forgot my coat. What is wrong with me today? Is memory something my brain views as unnecessary for daily function? I tell myself to suck it up as the cold bites across my cheeks and gets my teeth chattering. At least the heat generated from my running helps to warm me up a little, but not enough.