Chapter 13

Sterling

I pull open the overhead cabinet and reach for the small black box on the second shelf.

"Nice to see you, old friend."

Opening the box, I take the tube out of its packaging. It's almost empty, a few more uses and its out. I haven't gotten a new tube in a while since I haven't been using it recently. I'd probably have to get a new one soon, just in case. It's good to always have some on hand, because I never know when I'd have a need for it again...

Especially since it seems that my male familial predecessor has had a change in house rules, and the Rosamunds don't grant me immunity anymore. Shame, that was the only reason I humored them, especially the Blonde Bitch 2.0. He gave me a reason to tolerate them, and now he's aptly taken it away. Just in time, I was dangling on my last wit's end with that girl.

I squeeze out a small amount of the pale pink cream on my finger. Bringing my face closer to the mirror over the sink, I smooth the cream on my left cheek, just below my eye, where a light bruise has formed.

His swing wasn't too bad — left my face stinging for a while. But that much I'm used to, I've almost become numb to the feeling.

If he left this on my face, I wonder how his face is doing now. I didn't use my full strength, of course, or I could've knocked him out cold, a weakling like him.

As I rub the cream into my skin, the color gradates into my skin tone, until it's perfectly blended and uniform, with no trace of any product left on my skin. The bruise on my face vanishes, as if it were never there. I'd probably have to reapply the cover-up cream for a few more days until the bruise fades on its own completely, hopefully before camp. The cream isn't waterproof, so it'll wash off during any water activities we may have at camp. And that'd be embarrassing, wouldn't it? Having everyone see my naked face without makeup on. Absolutely horrifying!

That's the main concern of every female Trinity student every year around this time. Maybe if they didn't completely paint on another face on a daily basis and try to fool everyone, including themselves, taking it off wouldn't be as terrifying. But, of course, all the people around here are the same: just as vain, just as conceited, just as obsessed with being Perfectly flawless.

But flaws can only be suppressed or concealed temporarily. Ultimately, they're still there, like a wild animal growling beneath your skin. The more you try to cage them up and keep them hidden, the more they'll thirst to be let out and ravage free.

If you begin to condition them early, perhaps you could even tame them, but that requires you to let them out every once in a while on a leash.

I try to, but there are certain ones that never grew up and remained as rascals that refused to be tamed, and letting them out on a leash would risk them running loose and never finding their way back.

***

It's been a tiring day at school. Not like I actually followed the lessons or did any of the work, but I had to exert so much effort to restrain myself from cursing and flipping tables during each lesson.

Every single teacher in this damn school could not possibly have been properly educated. I hear the words coming out of their mouths and I really wonder if they're educators or just plain idiots. The only times I know in which so many ignorant people are congregated in one place are school or social events for Perfects. Or political gatherings, I guess. Anywhere where Perfects come together and share their rotten brain fruit.

I stand at the 3-point line, and shoot the ball. It travels through the air in a perfect arc, hits the backboard, and swishes easily through the hoop. I often come out here to shoot some hoops when I'm frustrated, in pensive thought, or just bored. Today it's all three. I like this place since it's pretty secluded, and not often graced by Perfects because they have their own designated indoor basketball court to practice.