Epilogue

Juliette

It's strange being back in a city that you'd left for an interval of time.

If I'd left for only a brief period, it would have felt like returning from a vacation; If I'd left for an extended period, it would have felt like coming home to a nostalgic place that you'd almost forgotten. However, one-and-a-half awkward years off the radar just felt like lost time, hovering about in a hazy limbo of grey space. Things in the city seem pretty much the same; nothing much changed besides some renovations of buildings, upgrades of railway lines and a new bridge... yet it felt so unfamiliar.

It didn't even feel real. It felt like I was waking up from a long dream, and now had to face the realities that were scarier than any nightmare I could have. The honeymoon was over, I was going back to Trinity Institution, about to be tossed into the East Wing to be devoured alive. Their predator instincts would kick in automatically once I enter their territory, since I wasn't wearing the same skin as them. I told Mom and Dad vehemently that I didn't want to buy the blazer, despite their insistence that they would try to make ends meet to buy me that piece of blue fabric. It must be made of Phoenix hairs and lined with gold in order to be the price it is. Two-thousand four-hundred and thirty dollars? Even if I sold my entire closet I would still be short. I bargained with my parents and convinced them to just buy me a new set of uniforms to replace the old, washed out ones that didn't fit me anymore (not like they ever did anyway).

As I enter the compound, I hear a few shutters, and from the corner of my eye I see two or three paparazzi with cameras, the ones who had picked up on the rumor that I had returned to the city and was going back to school, in spite of me trying to do it as quietly as possible. I'm not too concerned about it though. Direction of the flow of news has changed, people lost interest, becoming more occupied by other things like the upcoming Olympics to be concerned about a story of some orphan-turned-Perfect.

Of course, passing students stare and murmur, but that much I was expecting. I simply pretend not to notice, tilting my head downwards, walking briskly across the campus.

"Juliette Aldaine!" A familiar voice calls, causing me to stop in my tracks.

I turn to see Athena and Colette walking towards me with linked arms. My heart automatically leaps in my chest. The last time I had any contact with them was my final text before I left, saying that I would be gone for a while and wouldn't be on this number anymore. This is my first time speaking to them since then. I hope for the best.

"So the rumors were true, you are back in the city," speaks Athena, glancing me up and down. "I almost didn't believe it when I heard it."

I put a smile on my cheeks. "Yeah, I'm finally back. It's nice to see you guys."

Colette asks, "How long've you been back?"

"A few months."

"And you didn't think of trying to contact us when you came back?" she seems mildly hurt, but appears more miffed.

"Sorry... I've been trying to keep a low profile," I say quietly.

"The burdens of being a mini celeb," Colette snidely remarks, which I try to ignore.

"How have you guys been?

"As good as you can be in this school," sighs Athena. "I'm dating someone."

"Like that's new," Colette jokes in response, shaking her head.

Feelings of nervousness pool in my chest which I disguise with a mask of insouciance as I inquire my next question, "How's Alex?"