Chapter 8

After dinner the guys all headed to their rooms leaving me all alone in mines. I reached into the jean jacket that had First Ladies journal and opened it up to find the most beautiful handwriting. I marveled at it before realizing the dates on the entries.

       April 21, 1726

The professors have gotten stricter on curfew. Everyone knows that something’s up but they’re too scared to admit it. I’ve already expanded the innards of my closet to create my hidden Witches practices room. Cassius Clay has under estimated me and he believes that I do not know of his betrayal.

I’ve hidden from him for the past three weeks and he hasn’t visited my quarters since I have been doing so. I fear that my powers are in great danger. The secret meetings with the Council about my magic have become more frequent.

If something were to go bad it is without a doubt that I separate myself from my magic and hide it in the first born seed of the meek one who will pass it down through generation to generation and in the 21st Century is when the welder of my magic will bring things to order.

       I closed the book and stared into the mirror trying to sum up what I just read. I needed to talk to someone. Cassius Clay is Cameron’s father, that’s who caused the dormitory quarters to be changed.

       “Open up Sal!” I shouted banging on the back door of his store a few minutes later. I had grabbed my coat and took off down the path towards the town. There was no answer but a candle lit on a wooden table inside when I peeped in through the window. I sighed in frustration and created a portal walking into it then stepped out on the other side to find Sal hung in the door way leading to the store on the other side.

       His body spun around on a rope. His eyes were wide open blood spewed from his ears and nose and his grey hair was messy even a patch was visible. I dropped to my knees and held my face in my hands when suddenly the sounds of boots outside filled the air. I scattered under a table hiding from any eyes that may peep in. The sounds of heavy breathing filled the airin the room when the door opened. I bit into my coat to muffle any sounds that I would make and gathered my legs to my chest.

       Tears leaked from my eyes. The sounds of high heels made their way in now. “What happened here?” The woman asked. “Someone wanted information and they couldn’t break him, so they broke him; literally.” Headmaster Dresland’s voice replied. My eyes widened. Why would he come back here?

       “This needs to be cleaned up Dresland.” The woman said. Dresland snapped his fingers and the scene was what the woman had requested, but poor Mr. Sal was still hanging there. The woman held her hand out and the body disappeared now. I blinked multiple times before realizing that what they were doing was covering up anything that would look very defacing to the Witch community.

       Dresland nodded at her and they left. The room was engulfed in darkness as the breeze from the slamming of the door blew out the flame. I crawled out wiping away my tears. I got up and slowly walked to the front of the store where a small candle illuminated the middle where a table was under it and books hoarded its flame.

       What were they planning on doing with Mr. Sal’s body? Questions weighed heavily on me and I just couldn’t place a finger on anything at the moment.

       A small couch was off in the corner near the back by a window and I walked over grabbing the cloak that draped a chair. I lay on down gently hearing the springs below the cushions creak and I wince at the sound as I lay my head; covering myself.

       Sleep came horrifyingly easy as the bloody face of Mr. Sal engulfed my dreams. I was running now through a dark forest and as I peeled my way out from the tall trees and long branches I began to fall over a cliff and a loud scream left my lips as I flew out of my sleep from the descent.