||5. Broken Heart||

"It's hard to forget someone
who you've imagined
spending forever with."

☆▪☆▪☆

The silence was restored in the room, a calm before the storm. Swara stared at Sanskar. He looked so broken, so dejected and crushed that she felt sad for him. His shoulders were slumped in defeat, his entire body tensed and stiffened and his fists clenched. He was trying to be strong and not give away the amount of pain he felt but she could see it. His eyes told a story of their own and there was nothing false in that story. How could Kavi have done this to him?

Swara did not know what to say. Even Kavitha was not wrong in her place.

What's the use to marry,

If she doesn't love Sanskar?

Sanskar was miserable, she could have told him if she does not want to tie in the knot. The way she took was wrong. Running away from a wedding was not a solution to her problem. She could have talked with her father. It might hurt his feelings. He may get enraged. Eventually, he will come around to her convince.

Dadi sat morosely contemplating. "Why can't we change the bride now? I mean as Kavi said in the letter Sanskar will marry Swara." The stout, haughty grandma adamantly declared. Her words frightened them.

Swara was appalled to hear her enunciation. As words registered in her mind, her eyes belied her words. No! It must be a joke! Her beloved Dadi can never do that to her. But her look said otherwise. She was determined. The decision was made. Swara felt her breath hitched as a wave of nausea hit her body.

It's her life. Shouldn't she get the right to choose her husband? She glanced at her mother with blurry eyes. Her mother tried to object. But they took none of it. Prestige seems more important than her life. There was nothing Swara could say to change their mind.

"Maa, what are you saying? What did Kavi say? What's in that letter?" Sharmishta asks being clueless.

Letter?

Swara had forgotten Kavi had written a letter.

Dadi passes a letter to Mom. Tears brimmed Sharmishta's eyes as she saw a letter. She started reading it with shivering hands.

"Dear Dad, and Mom, I would have boarded the flight by the time this letter reached your hand. I didn't run away. I just want freedom. I tried to tell you many times that marriage is not my cup of tea. But you guys never took my words seriously. I am sorry to disappoint you. But I can't marry Sanskar. I don't love him.

Please try to understand me. It's good for me and Sanskar's life. Now you guys may feel I made you feel embarrassed and spoiled your reputation. And for prestige stake, I can't marry one who I never loved. I just want to live alone and enjoy my life.

Life is small. I wanted to enjoy each moment in my life and I don't want to fall into the hell of a so-called wedding. And one more thing don't think I love someone else and all. I didn't elope with any boy. I wanted to be a free bird not tied to any relations.

I am going to my friend's house and will live there. Mom, Dad, please don't worry about me. I am safe. I'm sorry to hurt you. Dadi and Dadu if possible try to forgive me.

Sanskar I'm sorry for whatever I did with you and for hurting you. All gifts given by you are in my room. I didn't take it. I don't deserve your gift. If possible please forgive me. You deserve a better girl than me. And I have a solution for that too, why don't you marry Swara?