Lafayette x Reader (2)

The Next Day

You watched from the bottom of the stairs as the 4 men whispered about you. You couldn't hear much of what they said, just your name repeated over and laughing. The men only took in your presence when you coughed into your fist awkwardly. They turned around and silenced themselves.

"Hello, mon ami!" Lafayette greeted you.

"Long time, no see." Laurens said.

"Yeah." Mulligan said.

"Oh yeah, a whole night! It's been a century." You replied.

"Pleasure to see you again, love." Alexander greeted. He came up and kissed your hand.

"Don't feel scared, Y/N, for mon ami Alex always greets women like that." Lafayette said, making sure you didn't feel uncomfortable. You just laugh.

"You're pretty funny, Lafayette."

"Aha! Finally, somebody who understand my dry sense of humor!" He replied, alternating which fist he pumped in the air every few words.

"So, which of you will I be riding with?"

"Me!" Each one of them simultaneously offered.

"Oh, how gracious of you all." I said sarcastically.

"Alex and Lafayette, lez go." They were closest to you, after all.

Both of the men stepped forward to accompany you. You caught Lafayette, out of the corner of your eye, teasing the two men who wouldn't be joining you on the way to camp. You tried to hold in your laughs as best as you could. The carriage arrived and you hopped in. A few minutes later you, the four men, and your uncle were on the way to serve in the war. The carriage ride was boring, other than when Lafayette would tell jokes. The rest of the ride was particularly silent.

"I'm tired..." you said, yawning. Lafayette moved from he is seat across from you to sit next to you instead. He let you rest your head on his shoulder, and you drifted to sleep. However, only after you noticed Alex fist bump Lafayette in victory.

-:-:-:-

What seemed to be forever later you were shaken awake by Lafayette.

"Mon ami, we have arrived!" You didn't know how he could sound so excited in a time like this.

You stepped out of the carriage, stretching. John walked up to you and Alexander, seeing that you would all be in the same cabin. You made your way, with your one tiny bag in your grasp. When you arrived you grabbed the door knob and walked in, curious to see what the inside of the cabin held.

To the left of the first room, it was dark, for no candle was on. In this dark space you noticed a rug on the creaky, wooden flooring. Three beds were against that dark, left wall. On the back wall, near the middle of the room, but off a tiny bit to the right, there was a desk. It was facing the you, and it also contained the one current source of light for the room; a candle. On the right wall, however, diagonal and in the corner, was the fireplace. It was off, and none of you bothered to turn it on at the moment. Near the desk was a door, which led to the kitchen and bathroom. You were pampered, considering you lived with Washington when at home.

You settled in, dropping your bags buy your selected bed. You decided you would head out and prepare for your medical services. You brought your aid kit along with you, setting it up at a table under a tent, about 1-2 miles away from the perimeter of the battlefield. After setting up your kit, you turned around, and out of no where saw Lafayette.

"Bonjour," you said, trying to warm up to his customs if switching languages during sentences.

"Bonjour, madame! Should I accompany you to where your next destination may be, mon ami?" He asked.

"Why, thank you, Lafayette." You and the French-man linked arms and walked near your cabin. You conversed naturally. It was nice. You arrived back and said your 'farewells,' and walked inside.

When you arrived inside you noticed John and Alex conversing on the floor, the fireplace turned on.

You zoned out for a second, thinking of the fire, the noises it made... 'CRACKLE. POP...' and when you put it out with water, the sizzle that occurred, and how it would die out over time. You then thought about how blessed you were to have a fireplace while camped out during the war...

"Y/N?" You heard, snapping back to reality (AN: Oh, there goes gravity).

You looked up, seeing a confused John, and a giggling Alex.

"Oh, I was just thinking about the fire..." you said, being genuine and honest.

"I see!" John said, replying to your answer. It was getting late; it was already 8:30PM. At least for you, it was late. You had to be out there just as early as the men.

"Well, I'll see you in the morning." You crawled into bed.

As you lay in bed, you thought of the sour memory of John. The memories. You thought of Alex, being so proper. Mulligan, being the underdog. Lafayette, goofy. You wish Lafayette was in your cabin, he knew how to make everybody happy. Before you truly attempted to fall asleep, you poked your head up, watching Alex and your old lover, and worst nightmare, John, whispering do you wouldn't be disturbed. A million thoughts then ran through your head; so many you couldn't just focus on one. You slowly put your head down and start drifting off.