Easier Said Than Done ~ 16

After running from the room, Gabriel fled to his own, flustered and crying. He threw open the door and fell onto the bed, crying into his pillow, his body trembling in fear from what had just happened.

He sobbed for a few more minutes before he felt he had run out of tears. Gabriel took a deep breath and composed himself, taking out his laptop and quickly sending a few emails to the teachers he had after lunch, explaining he wouldn't be in class due to a sudden fever. Of course he didn't actually have a fever, but it sure did look like it. The boys face was flushed, paler than usual, and his eyes were puffy and red from crying.

After sending the emails Gabriel tucked his laptop away and laid back on his bed, his arms out to the side and his legs down straight.

"This can't keep happening," Gabriel spoke to himself, sighing after.

"They can't keep fighting over me like this...they can't." He finished off before rolling onto his side, closing his eyes. Seconds after his eyes closed, Gabriel was out cold.

The boy slept for a good few hours, the school day ending and most students retiring to their dorms. By the time Sawyer had made it to his dorm, Gabriel was already awake, sitting at his desk, writing. Sawyer smiled when he saw Gabriel, glad to know he was alright.

"Hey, you okay? Someone told me you were sick. Do you need anything?" Sawyer said quickly to Gabriel, making the younger one sigh.

"I'm alright, Sawyer, thank you." Gabriel replied, smiling tiredly at him. Gabriel didn't think he was actually sick but what he thought was just stress and him worrying turned out to be an actual fever. However, he decided not to tell Sawyer.
After a long time of thinking, Gabriel realized that he couldn't be pampered by these boys anymore. He needed to stand up for himself and find the confidence that was hidden away somewhere behind the layers of shyness.
He didn't want Sawyer and Cesar constantly worrying about him and he didn't want them to always be by his side.
The only thing Gabriel could think to do was to keep his distance.
Sawyer peered over at the boy and sighed, noticing how abnormally pale Gabriel had gotten, and the enormous bags under his eyes.
"Are you sure you're gonna be okay, Gabby? You don't look so hot." Sawyer said worriedly, standing by the boy.
"I said I was fine, Sawyer, thank you." Gabriel spoke in a stern tone, continuing on with what he was doing.
Sawyer didn't believe the boy but didn't want to push him any further and instead left him alone.

Between his sickness and the reruns in his mind of his encounter with Cesar, Gabriel could barely focus. His head spun, nothing clear. Standing up, Gabriel went to go get himself some water, but immediately became dizzy, shaking slightly. Sawyer was quick to his feet, catching Gabriel before he could fall. He picked up the small boy and laid him on his bed, looking down.
"G-Gabriel? What's wrong? What's going on?" He asked frantically, realizing soon after it wasn't the best idea to spit questions out at a person who nearly fainted. 
"I just need some water, please, Sawyer." Gabriel spoke in a small, shaky voice, his breathing unsteady. Sawyer nodded and went to their mini fridge, grabbing a cold water and opening it. He helped Gabriel sit up, handing him the water after. Gabriel took small sips, afraid he may not be able to hold anything down with how queazy he was.
Sawyer took this chance to place his hand on Gabriel's forehead, feeling for a temperature.
"Oh my god, Gabriel! You're burning up like crazy! We have to get you to the nurse." Sawyer stood and paced a bit, scared despite it only being a fever.
"Sawyer, calm down! I'm fine." Gabriel tried raising his voice but stopped as his stomach flipped, making him groan in pain.
"No you're not, I'm getting the nurse to come up here. Stay, I'll be right back." Sawyer spoke firmly, looking at Gabriel with a serious expression. Gabriel sighed and nodded, taking more small sips from his water.

A few minutes after Sawyer had left, he came back with the school's nurse.
She had a small travel sized bag that most likely contained small medical instruments and equipment for moments like these.
"Hello Gabriel, I'm Nurse Poole." She spoke sweetly, sitting beside Gabriel who had gone from burning hot to shivering under the sheets.
"Now what seems to be the problem?" She asked kindly and waited, listening.
"Well, I was feeling fine this morning until just after lunch," Gabriel paused, biting his lip nervously. "I, um, I came upstairs, had a conversation with my friend, and came straight here." He continued on, glancing at Sawyer for a moment. "Then I started to feel light headed and tired, and I noticed I might've had a fever but I wasn't sure." Gabriel explained to the nurse as she nodded her head. "Yes, and any other possible symptoms?" She asked, making Gabriel nod.
"Yes, um, I've been quite shaky and nauseas. Oh and I've been having one and off cold and hot spells." He pursed his lips after speaking.
"Alright, I'm going to take your temperature to just make sure, but you seem to have caught a stomach bug. I'll give you some remedies but the best you can do for now is rest up. And find a friend to stay by your side." She spoke as we took out a thermometer and stuck it underneath Gabriel's tongue, watching as it rose.
"Hmm, 101.5." Quite high but not too serious. Keep an eye on it and if it goes anywhere above 104, call the office immediately. Get some rest, sweatheart." She smiled at Gabriel after packing her things up, nodding off to Sawyer too. Sawyer sighed once she was gone and turned to Gabriel.
"Well, I'm more than happy to watch over you-" He began, quickly being cut off.
"I can ask Ramiro to. He'd be more than happy to." Gabriel spoke quickly, showing virtually no emotion. Sawyer's face fell.
"Oh, oh yeah, um okay, yeah, he can too." He nodded and turned away from Gabriel, not wanting to show the hurt in his eyes. It's not like he was planning on doing anything, he just wanted to help, but clearly Gabriel did not want his company.
"I'm going to go eat Dinner. I'll bring you some bread and make sure to tell Ramiro if I see him." Sawyer spoke quietly, not looking at Gabriel as we left. Gabriel sighed heavily and sat back on his bed, closing his eyes.
How had he gotten sucked into this mess? All he wanted to do was fix everything but that was proving to be easier said than done.

A/N
Hey, so sorry I haven't been updating much. I've had a lot on my plate. Anyway, Happy New Years! Hope everyone had an awesome Holiday. Let's consider this a late present lmao.
Oh and yeah btw Shout Out to my friend Stephanie who is awesome and loves my story, hope you enjoyed the chapter :)