8 - Just give me a reason

Edward's Pov:

What do you do when everything's broken? Yet you're the one to blame? If I had been looking properly I might have been able to move the car out of the way. I might have been able to have stopped my wife getting the full impact of a car against her. There has been questions on how everyone managed to get out without a scratch when Bella is in intensive care and fighting for her life but we just shrugged them off too distraught to answer questions. We are still waiting for Emmett, Rosalie, Carlisle, Esme and Emilia to show up. We sit and wait and wait and when they show up a sleeping Emilia in Emmett's arms.

I look down too ashamed to meet there gazes.

"Who was driving?" Esme says clearly angry.

I look at the ground hoping for it to swallow me up and take me back to when I had my girl in my arms but of course it doesn't.

"I was" I say but my voice doesn't sound right.

"How could you Edward? She is not only carrying your baby, which she could loose from this but she has given up her whole life for you, for all of us. How idiotic could you be, taking your eyes off the road? Hasn't she been through enough pain? What do you think it will do to her if she looses that baby, Edward?" Esme shouts.

My eyes fill with venom and I start sobbing not only might I loose my wife and unborn baby but I've lost a woman who I see as my own mother.

"He didn't know." Alice argues.

"He would've known had he not taken his eyes off the road."Rosalie mutters.

"No, he wouldn't. We were at a red light, the other car lost control and I don't think it was an accident because I'm sure I saw Tanya's face in the drivers seat of the other car." Alice argues back.

"Leave Edward, you're just making us argue." Esme hisses and I know she's beyond serious because Esme has never, ever spoken to me like that. I stand to leave ashamed and sobbing but Carlisle puts his hand on his wife's shoulder and speaks calmly.

"Stop it, everyone. Edward could not have predicted it at all and I think deep down we all know that" he gives a disappointed look at Esme and Rose. "He would do anything for that girl in there and she would do the same. A terrible thing has happened today, accident or not but if you think that arguing will help Bella at all you are terribly mistaken. She needs are support not us all doing the blame game. So get up and start acting like a family not a pack of wolves."

I nod he's right but I can't will myself to stay still, my mind going crazy.

"Sorry, guys." Jasper whimpers. "The emotions are too strong, I need to get some air." He gets straight up and makes a bee-line for the exit, Alice on his tail. I sigh knowing we're in for a long night.

I pace up and down the corridor waiting for some sort of news, the last time I saw Bella was when she got cut out of the car and placed on a stretcher, unconscious, covered in blood and deathly pale. I had begged to be allowed in the ambulance but they said she was in such a critical condition that they just had to get back to the hospital.

What seems like days later a doctor comes back into the little room we were all huddled in, Alice and Jasper long back now.

He sighs as if not wanting to give us the news. "We've had to put her into a medical induced coma because of how bad her injuries are, she has broken four ribs and bruised two, and has had a massive knock to her head, which we believe could potentially give her minor brain damage and a large concussion. As of her legs becoming trapped she has a severe fracture to the fibula on her right leg we unfortunately won't know until she wakes up if she has suffered any spinal cord injuries but we are almost certain she has not. She will wake up soon"