Ch. 13 - Oolong tea

"I'm sorry for the disturbance." Chat apologized, entering and setting his bag down while looking around. His eyes lingered on pictures of himself, wait, no, of Adrien hung on the wall. "I just saw the bakery and assumed there would be friendly faces here." He sighed, looking back at Marinette with a pair of puppy dog eyes. "If it's too much of a hassle for me to rent a room for the night, please say so."

Marinette laughed kindly. "Of course not, kitty cat." She flicked Chat's faux cat ears placed atop his head on his green-lined hood. "You can stay as long as you don't get adopted." she took out an electrical teapot she had in her room and poured water on it. Waiting, the silently asked the cat what tea he wanted.

"Oolang, please," He responded, setting his bag down and looking up at the speckle-faced girl.

"Anywho, what's your name?" Marinette played it off, stuttering but trying to sound nonchalant as she poured tea for the poor kitty.

"Name's Chat Noir, king of the break dancing ring underneath the Gare du Nord (North Train station)." He smirked, ruffling his hair as he took a seat with his legs in butterfly position.

"Oh- Oh. Really?" She smiled nervously. "Never heard of it."

Chat gasped, unconsciously stretching his legs. The position made it hard not to slip into habit. "Maybe I could take you sometime and we could meet my newest contestant for a place in the court, Ladybug!"

Marinette winced. "N- No, thanks. I'm fine here, thanks." She gave him the tea in a white porcelain cup, whispering a "Careful, it's hot," before sitting on the bed next to his resting spot on the floor.

"What brought you here?" The girl asked.

The boy stared, empty eyed, as he sipped his tea. The taste reminded him of the scent of home. His thoughts traveled elsewhere, no need to waste more time thinking about his father. After all, the only reason his money-hungry father might miss him is because he'll finally realize how much money Adrien's modeling career and other extracurricular activities affect his income, in a positive or negative way. It'll put him off balance. This investment, not a child, investment, had taken up so much of his time, he had put so much effort into making him perfect and a marketable tool, and now that investment has just.... disappeared.

He started getting teary eyed. His Oolong tea was scorching hot, but he sipped it anyway. Marinette started to get teary eyed, too. Tears were infectious. Chat noticed how much the girl's eyes resembled that one painting by Van Gogh...

All this over a cup of Oolong tea.