ten: i really love the wonder years and this chapter sucks ass

it was nearly three weeks after that night out. it was nearly three weeks since that kiss. it was nearly three weeks since lynn replied to any of her texts. 

it was nearly three weeks since she had even seen lynn. 

brendon and alexa sat on the staircase, shielding themselves from the rain. alexa leaned her shoulder on brendon's, holding the umbrella between them and yawning, "we should go sit in your car and listen to our mixtape."

"we have a mixtape?" brendon asked, genuinely confused.

alexa smiled, "yeah, that cd i randomly put in your mail like last week? it was in a clear case that had 'ratty bitch' sloppily written on it in black sharpie? and the cd read 'friendship, bitch'?" 

brendon gasped, "i swear on everything i love i thought that was gabe saporta. you guys have like, the same handwriting."

alexa laughed out loud and took her phone out of her pocket, clicking through her messages. she had sent lynn six messages in the past few weeks. "do you think it was wrong of me to kiss her?" she asked, scrolling through the messages. 

'hey, i had a great time today' read 

'are you there?' read

'i'm sorry that i kissed you, i didn't mean to be creepy.' read

'?' read

'that was real fucked up of me im sorry' read

'sorry' read

"maybe you came on too strong?" brendon asked. alexa shrugged and the main entrance door opened. they both quickly looked to see lynn, quickly walking out of the building. 

she mouthed 'fuck' to herself as she scurried down the stairs. alexa got up and quickly went after her, "hey, are you mad at me?" lynn ignored her question. walking into the rain with the pretty brunette girl, alexa pleaded with her, "please, talk to me."

"leave me alone, please," lynn muttered, her voice almost muffled by the rain. 

alexa, soaked in the rain water, ran to her and placed her hand on her shoulder, trying to get her to stop for just a minute to speak to her. lynn jerked away, yelling, "i said, leave me alone!" 

alexa backed up, "can you just tell me what i did wrong?" 

lynn turned and walked down the sidewalk, practically running out of view.  alexa, as if she was in some dramatic movie and trying to win an oscar, threw her hands into her hair and let out a yell.

"what did i fucking do wrong!" she screamed down the street, the rain seeming to pour down harder as she screamed. 

the final bell rang, indicating that the school day was over, and brendon ran over to meet alexa. "it's okay, don't worry about her. now, come on, my dad picked up my jeep. let me take you home so you don't have to walk in this."

"you're a fucking good friend, you know that?" alexa declared as the two ran down the street to brendon's jeep. 

they reached it and brendon pulled the door open for alexa like a true gentleman, then leaped over his car hood like an action star and got into the driver's seat. as he started the car, alexa opened the glove compartment and dug around in it. "i know you keep a flask in here. what's in it?"

"jim bean bourbon. please don't drown your sorrows in booze."

"i won't. just kinda want a drink." alexa grabbed the silver flask and popped it open. she leaned her seat back, kicked her feet up onto the dashboard, and took a sip of the lukewarm alcohol. 

"you're fucking gross, bourbon is fucking gross warm," brendon told her as they drove. 

alexa shrugged, "oh well. tell john he's gonna actually come to lunch tomorrow and not ditch to make out with some random girl and/or guy in the janitor's closet like he always does. i need girl advice from him." 

"i got you, fam."

"never call me that again."