Glasses - 1

"Emma!!! Wait up!!"

I turn around to see my only guy friend in the world running up to me. Scratch that, my ONLY friend in the world. Aiden is the only person who actually cares about me and isn't ashamed to call himself my friend. He is also the only person who doesn't warm up to me just to get help with their homework and projects. Yes mine is a sad life. But unlike most people in my school, I have actual goals and plans which do not include reducing a size just to fit into a dress for a party.

I won't deny the fact that I've many times thought about myself and Aiden getting together. But that's actually so out of question because Aiden is gay. He came out  only 2 years ago and he always says that it was only because I accepted him, that he got the courage to tell everyone else including his parents.

"So what's the score this time?" Aiden asks about our results on yesterday's History test. "23/25. The highest though, again." I reply smiling. I'm really proud of myself for maintaining my personal record of topping every class I attend, everytime.

"Obviously." says Aiden. "So hey, did you hear? Amber and Nick broke up."

"Really? I am so surprised." I say, mocking surprise. Everybody knew Amber and Nick weren't serious about each other. They were only together because the social pyramid of school requires the most popular guy and most popular girl in school to date each other.

"Yeah. Well anyway, it seems Nick is holding a party today night to celebrate his freedom from Amber." says Aiden. I am shocked. That is quite cruel and mean. Even a bitchy person like Amber doesn't deserve that. "It's a guys only party. And.....I've been invited." says Aiden pursing his lips. "You're thinking of going?" I ask. Aiden has a kind of reputation for not attending any of the parties held by our schoolmates. The only 'party' he's ever attended was my 16th birthday when my Mom forced me to have some kind of celebration, instead of solving Calculus, which was my idea of celebration.

"Yeah. It's our last year. I feel at least one of us should have some kind of wild party story to tell our kids." He says.

I smile. "Well, have fun then!" "You too! Write atleast 2 essays!" He says cheekily and runs off. I wish I too could've gone with him. The only reason I hadn't attended any of the old parties was because I didn't have anyone to go with. And surprisingly the one time Aiden decides to go to a party, it had to be guys only.

As I'm driving home, I keep thinking about our semi-finals. I'll have to do extremely well if I wanted to get into my dream university  through a scholarship and not by burning a hole in my parents' pockets.

Once I reach home, I find a note from Mom and Dad saying they're at Aunt Polly's place because she's sick, and they'll be back around 10. I head into the kitchen and try to make something decent for my stomach. I must admit, I suck at cooking or even anything to do with food. Except eating it of course. I make myself a sandwich and head upstairs to start working on the Sociology essay due tomorrow.

Around 7.30 I'm done with my essay, so I log onto my Facebook account for a 10 minute break. My favourite pastime was stalking my schoolmates under a fake account named Rose Jefferson. Only Aiden knew that it was actually me. Many guys from my school had tried talking to 'Rose' and some even went as far as asking her out. Only if they knew it was me.

I find Nick's latest status,
"FINALLY SINGLE!!!
DO JOIN IN THE PARTY GUYS!!!"

It was like as if he was waiting and planning this breakup the whole time. I scroll through more of his pictures and I find small vestiges of the old crush I had on him when we were in primary school, returning. I never told him or anybody else. Even Aiden doesn't know, but I think he suspects and often teases me about it even though I vehemently deny it. I guess I kind of grew out of those feelings when I found out what a player and jerk Nick was. Over a span of 6 years, he has had over 10 girlfriends, none of them lasting for over a period of 6 months. Each of those girls dated him thinking that Nick would realise that she is his soulmate and therefore would stop his player ways and settle down with her. And each of them ended up disappointed. Either Nick would cheat on them or he would publicly humiliate them causing them to breakup with him.

A few minutes later I get a text from Aiden saying how great the party is and he's realised how much he's been missing out on all these years. I just hope he doesn't get too drunk and decide to drive back home on his own.

Uptil 9 I study my ass off and end up completing more than I had planned to do today. I feel really accomplished and decide to wind up studying and go have some dinner. Halfway through eating my heated up lasagna, I get a call from Aiden.

"Hello?"

"Hey. Is this Emma?" I hear a very familiar voice but not that of Aiden's.

"Yes. May I know who's speaking?"

"Its Nick." I stop chewing. Why did Nick call me? And that too from Aiden's mobile. Oh God, I hope Aiden is alright.

"Where's Aiden?" I ask.

"Well Aiden.....went a little out of control. He's pretty drunk and very obviously cannot be trusted behind the wheel. Can you come pick him up?"

Just what I feared. As far as I know, this is his first time getting drunk. He's gonna regret this in the morning.

"Yeah okay. 14, Bailey street?" I ask, even though I know that that is his address.

"Yes." He says and hangs up.

I'll admit I'm feeling quite scared of having to pull up to a house full of boys, alone. Nevertheless I bring out my car and start driving to Nick's house. His house is really far from mine and I reach there only 30 minutes later. Music I've never heard is blasting from inside his house and is heard right from the end of the street. I pull up in front of his driveway and turn off the ignition. I don't want to walk in and search for Aiden. I try calling him but he doesn't answer. I decide to wait a few minutes to see if he steps out or else I will have to go in.

Okay, 10 minutes have passed but there's still no sign of Aiden or even Nick. I take a deep breath and get out of my car. I walk towards the open door and weirdly dancing bodies. I squish through sweaty, smelly guys until I enter the hall where there's room to breathe. Suddenly I hear someone scream.

"Omigod!!!! Boobs!!!!"

I turn around to see Nev Turner looking at me in horror.

"Who invited a vagina?" Someone asks and everyone starts laughing.

"Haha. Very funny. I'm looking for Aiden." I reply. "Where is he?"

"Hmm. Dunno maybe he's getting laid." And again they all start laughing. I shake my head and head out of the hall. I bump into someone. I look up at the really tall person. It's Nick.

"Hey glasses."

"Really? That's the best you could come up with?" I ask him. I honestly thought he would have a better database of insulting names.

"I'm saving up the best for later." He says smiling slyly.

"Where's Aiden?"

"Upstairs. Passed out. I'll take you there. Come." He says grabbing my hand. I won't deny I felt Lepidopteras in my stomach.

He leads me upstairs slicing through the throng of sweaty bodies and all the way I hear hoots of  "Ooh. Boobs" "We can get lucky tonight!!" and other such things. I resist the urge to slap each and every one of them. Nick takes me to what I presume is his bedroom and as soon as he opens the door I see Aiden sprawled in a very uncomfortable posture on the bed. He reeks of vomit and keeps blabbering something incoherent.

Between myself and Nick, we lift Aiden and carry him all the way to my car. And yes, the hooting had not yet subsided. Once we buckle Aiden into the passenger seat, I get into the driver's seat and lean outside the window to say goodbye to Nick. As I turn, I see him already leaning inside my window, smiling at me. My heart skips a beat.

"So, Glasses. Are you free this Saturday?"

"What? Why?"

"I thought we could hang out." He says smiling.

I stare at him wide eyed. Did he just ask me out?

"You know, I thought we could go watch the latest movie." He continues.

"I'm pretty sure I'll have a better time watching it alone than with you, Nick. Goodbye."

I start my car and drive off immediately. I think Nick fell down. But I don't care to check.