Be Mine - 2

She was wrong. She was so wrong. Her parents not only brought up the topic of her marriage, but also asked me to convince her!!! ME!! The guy who was crushing on her!! You can see the irritation on Lucy's face. She had already subtly tried to change the topic, but her parents were not ready to give up.

"So Jack, you will put some sense into her head won't you? You understand we're growing old and there are some things we wish to see before we grow old." says her father looking at me.

"Dad.....please stop. I invited him from dinner, not a lecture." says Lucy whining.

"In fact, Lucy we had something in mind for you. You know last week we went to Oakwood, and we ran into Uncle Jim! You remember Uncle Jim don't you? He was there for your first birthday!"

"Yes Mom, I remember him. From when I was a baby." Lucy replied sarcastically.

"Oh good!" Her mom didn't  get the sarcasm. "You might also remember his son, Jonathan? He was there for your birthday too. He was too afraid to come near you because you were crying the whole time." Her Mom and Dad started laughing. I couldn't help but smile pitifully at Lucy.

"Well anyway. Jim told me how Jonathan is going to be coming here to Toronto this week on a business trip. He'll be staying here for a week, and guess what?" asked her Dad.

Lucy just stared impassively at her dad. Oh no, this must be the guy her cousin told her about. No no, please don't tell.......

"We arranged for a small get-together! Just you and Jonathan!"

NOOOO!!!

"Wow, that's amazing. I'm so happy." said Lucy, clearly not happy.

"We're happy too honey. You'll be meeting him after so long." said her mom. Her parents seriously don't understand sarcasm. "We also got his number for you, so you could talk and fix a date. We were thinking both of you could go get lunch maybe? I'm pretty sure you can take a day off tomorrow, right sweetie?"

"Maybe." said Lucy, sighing. Dammit, she's giving in. I thought she'd convince her parents that she didn't want to go. "Can we go have dinner now?" she asked.

"Yes sure sure. Come Jack, let's go see what Lucy has prepared for us." Says her Dad winking at me. I just smiled back weakly. I wonder if I could tell her parents that I like, no love, her. Maybe they'd talk to her and, no. That would be just like what is happening now. Her parents will be forcing her into something she's not ready for, or is simply not interested in. I don't want to force Lucy into anything. Furthermore, since I am convinced that we two are soulmates, I'm prepared to wait any amount of time for her. I just hope this Jonathan guy doesn't ruin anything.....

All through dinner, Lucy doesn't say a word. She silently munches on her lasagna, which I must say is delicious. I try making her talk but all her answers are monosyllabic. Her parents, however are too excited about the fact that she agreed to meet Jonathan, that they don't notice her gloom. They tell stories from Lucy's childhood and how Lucy and Jonathan could've become best friends, if they had not moved here Toronto. But now somehow due to fate, they're destined to meet again. They talk highly of Jonathan. He's the CEO of Bostin Communications, and earns a handsome package. He's been to almost all the metropolitan cities in the world and has friendly relations with very influential people. Donates to charities every month, he's adopted 2 dogs and 1 cat, he's given interviews for many leading channels, etc. To put in a nutshell, he's way better a match for Lucy than I am.

After dinner, Lucy's parents get ready to leave.

"It was lovely meeting you Jack."

"The pleasure was mine Sir." I reply, shaking his hand. I see her mom wiping away tears and hugging Lucy.