Limited Time - 1

"Okay Billy, time's up. Let's get you back to your room. Come on." I say as I drag a hysterical 9-year old away from the ball pit. A 9-year old who will mostly never be 10. Because of cancer. But he didn't seem to be aware of that. Most of the parents don't tell their children what exactly was happening. They either thought it was too much for them to understand or they just wanted their kids to enjoy their last few months here on earth as happily as possible. Billy was one among them. It broke my heart to think that in a few months or even weeks I wouldn't be dragging this little monkey back to his room.

It's been exactly 4 months since I started volunteering here at BillRoth Memorial. And within this short span of time I've both met and lost so many beautiful souls. Thinking of all those kids who weren't here anymore always made me tear up. I distracted myself by play fighting with Billy. His loud laughter made my pensive mood disappear. As we neared his room Nurse Rhonda said she'd take him inside. I left him with her and wandered off to look for someone who might need some help. I did not have any specific job here at the hospital. I was usually just told to entertain or play with the kids. Apparently I was very good with children. I did not see that myself, because most babies cried whenever I tried carrying or playing with them. But the pre-teens were okay. The stories they would tell me about their classmates and school would make me wonder if I had lived my childhood properly.

I always knew I wasn't a social butterfly, but I also knew I wasn't anti-social. Up until one day, one of the kids asked me what I did when I hung out with my friends. That was when it actually hit me that........I didn't have any friends. There were of course people I waved to when I would see them outside school, but I did not have even one friend whom I could casually call and ask if we could go watch a movie or something. And don't even get me started on boys. I must be some kind of boy-repellent because none of the boys at my school even noticed my existence.

I knew I was kinda decent looking so it wasn't my face that was putting off the guys. I also wasn't rude or bitchy so it also wasn't my attitude. So I do not know why I had a huge deficiency in the love department. But that was not a huge problem for me, because I didn't mind being single. But there are those times when I could do with a cuddle or.....even a kiss. I wonder how kissing someone must feel like.

"Michelle darling, could you come over here for a bit?" I heard Dr.Rachel's voice call out for me. I walked towards the reception desk where she was standing.

"Hey Doctor. Anything I could help you with?"

"I do have a small request. One of our senior nurses is not available for a few weeks, and one of her patients doesn't have a second-in nurse. I will be looking after him and administering him directly but I will be needing a helping hand around. Could you possibly help me?"

"Well yeah sure. I would love to." I reply.

"Thanks a lot Michelle. I'll be off to the trainee wing now, but you can go meet our patient, George. He'll be in room 93. I'll see you later."

"You too." I reply and start walking towards the stairs. Room 93 was on the right end of the first floor and had a marvellous view of the park. I'd been in there only once when I was filling in for one of the volunteers. That was where I had met Sally. I didn't get to spend much time with her but I was devastated to hear when she passed away. Even though the chances were very slim I always hoped for a miracle that at least one of these kids would survive.

I knocked on the door of Room 93 and asked if I could come in. A deep voice answered saying I could. George's parents were probably there. I opened the door and walked in.......not to see a 7 or 8 year old playing on his bed, but a teenage boy, probably 18 or 19, doing something on his phone. I was quite surprised because I was usually assigned only to children and not older patients. But I will admit I did not really mind, because George.....he was one fine specimen.