05

Louis doesn't notice that Zayn came back until he greets him from the kitchen's door. He looks up, Zayn doesn't look tired and he offers Louis a smile like he always does.

"Smooth?" Louis raises his eyebrows.

Zayn shrugs, "I stopped noticing" Louis chuckles but it actually hurts to hear those words from Zayn, he deserves better, but he doesn't want to ruin Zayn's mood so he nods slowly at him and watches as he disappears from the doorway. He knows he's going for a shower and then changing into something more comfortable so he doesn't start a conversation.

When Zayn is back, he finds Louis at the same spot, his cup of tea is half-filled and he frowns. Louis doesn't notice him this time, probably because he's not wearing shoes to make a tapping sound on the floor. He approaches him slowly, wrapping his arms around his shoulders and leaning his head to Louis'.

"What's on your mind?"

Louis sighs, "Nothing, I'm just ..." he sighs again, "I'm worried about Harry" Zayn frowns. Harry was pretty healthy when he left. "Liam still can't get up from his bed" Louis turns his head towards Zayn, "What if it's worse. Zayn?! We dragged him into this and now we've done this to him!"

Correction. Louis doesn't have a part in it. If Zayn didn't show up that day at the gym then maybe, just maybe, Harry wouldn't have even known he existed and he wouldn't be in any of this. And He's more than happy to know that Liam is fucked up, but Louis doesn't know he called Ant and went to Harry's afterwards. He makes a mental note to ask Harry to call Louis to tell him he's fine.

"We need to fix this" Zayn blinks, and he's about to tell Louis that there's nothing to be fixed, but Louis goes on, "We're going to make Ant pay" Ant. Fuck. He already owes him. Zayn pulls away.

"Look, I'm sure Harry's fine. He just might ... be still asleep yet. And you know messing with Ant only gets us a horrible backfire" he sighs and walks around Louis to get to the fridge, "We need to go shopping"

"I'm not accepting this" Louis speaks up again, "Whether you're with me or not" Zayn furrows his brows and turns to him.

"Louis, you're not going to do anything stupid" Louis shakes his head and hops off the stool, "I mean it, Louis!" he shouts after him as he exits the kitchen. Might as well ask Harry to cool him down.

=====

"Could you just ... talk to him?"

"I did send him a text, but obviously he doesn't believe me for some reason. I don't have time for a conversation with Louis. Just tell him I'm fine"

Zayn sighs. Harry doesn't have time to answer Louis' calls but he has time to answer his? It doesn't even make him feel any better. "Please?"

"Are you going to ask me to take him out to dinner too?"

"If possible, yes" There's a pause and Zayn is sure that if Harry was in front of him right now he might be having the 'Are you serious' face, or mostly a blank one. Zayn glances over the shelves as he waits for Harry's reply even if he is 90% sure of knowing it already but the remaining 10% is still giving him hope.

"Goodbye, Zayn"

The line goes dead and Zayn frowns looking down on his phone for a moment before putting it back in his pocket. Harry isn't going to listen to him anyway so he doesn't bother redialing him. He tries to push the idea that Louis is going to do something he'll regret later away and instead focuses on buying what they need. He might as well buy some beer for tonight.

He hears a sound of two carts crashing and then someone apologizing. It's an instinct to whip his head towards the sound, maybe to check if everything is okay. But perhaps because he knows that voice too. He blinks slowly, twice, and feels his heart sinking to his feet.