Chapter 6 - Home

A/N: Here we go, I can't really believe it myself, I managed to write a whole chapter! The picture is a rogh plan of the dorm in case you can't follow my description. I hope you enjoy reading, see you in the comments' section! :)

I look around the room. I am so close to passing out, my lids flatter.

"Congratulations. You passed the test, Recruit Finley. You may follow the lights on the wall, they will lead you to your dorm. Your belongings have already been transferred. Thank you for signing in."

The dorm. My future home. Safety. I am safe now, is all that I can think in my condition. I force my body to get up with a strengh that I didn't know I still had left. A door had appeared where seconds before the hologram had been. I sway and my wobbly knees almost give in, but I manage to reach out for the wall and support myself.

Red lights are repeatedly rushing along the wall to my left and right at the level of my eyes. My gaze can't resist from sticking to them in a dazed manner, I can only barely prevent from falling into hypnosis. I don't know from which abandoned corners of my mind I get the mental energy to put one foot in front of the other, it's like learning to walk all over again.

I slog along with the pace of a retarded snail, passing several hallways and turning left and right as the lights lead me, but I do not meet anyone. Finally I reach a door, the sign next to it reads "Division Delta 03 (basically trained soldiers and recruits)". I assume to find the dorm behind the door. My dorm. And my future social environment. Basically my whole future life. I straighten myself since I don't want to expose my fatal current condition - because the first impression counts. I grit my teeth as I re-adjust my hand on the bleeding wound of my left arm. I awkwardly swing my hips up to the lockpad to get my left wrist with my ID close enough to open the door without the need to move the injured arm. The door swifts open and I enter confidently.

I am greeted by five surprised pairs of eyes looking at me.

"Hi. I am Rayen Finley" I say shyly.

There are four young men and one young woman in the room, sitting in a circle on the floor. A holographic boardgame hovers in the air in the middle of the group. The girl makes the start and gets up, approaching me, the four men follow. I smile, trying to seem confident and ignore the cramping knot my stomach seems to be.

"Hey, Finley, nice to meet you! Finally another girl of almost my age - fantastic! I have waited for a girl since I joined the Army two years ago. Two years? Damn it, it's really already been this long. Wow. Well, I am glad you are there, someone has to teach those male apes some manners."

She chuckles which interrupts the stream of words escaping her mouth.

"Oh, I am so sorry, Finley, I didn't even introduce myself: I am soldier Eliza Malone" she blushes, then she pulls me into a hug. I stiffen in surprise and sharply suck some air in as the girl presses my arm.

Her face appears again with a worried expression this time.

"Oh, the test. We all went through that, tough stuff. I hated them for turning down the NoInjury-protocoll. Well, we have a first-aid-kit here, gimme a second and I'll go get it" she smiles brightly. She talks alot, but she seems nice.

"Welcome, Finley. I am Will Johnson. Nice to meet you" says a deep voice. The sound almost makes me startle, but I look into the bright smile of a dark skinned, really tall and bald man with wide shoulders. I shake the hand he is offering me politely.

"Hey. A pleasure to meet you, too."

"Those buddies over there are Mike Sullivan, Than Ling and Fernando Muños" Johnson nods to each of the other young men who also shake my hand and welcome me open-heartedly. I do not sense superficial behaviour at the moment which kind of confuses me.