Chapter 9 - The world falls apart

A/N: Okay guys, I proudly present: the next chapter. I know it took quite a long time and I am sorry. But now the real story begins. Rayen goes through a lot of different stuff this chapter, I hope you like it. The link is to a picture of the girl, I guess I can't put it here directly due to copyright... I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Enjoy!
https://500px.com/photo/136055673/-by-brian-ingram?utm_medium=pinterest&utm_campaign=nativeshare&utm_content=web&utm_source=500px

"Oh my God, Finley! This is your first order! You must be crazy excited. I mean I was. I almost freaked out and still I had to remain calm at the surface - I swear, I almost exploded! And you even got the noon and the night shift! I am so excited for you!"

Yep, I can tell that, Malone. But seriously, I don't think it's such a big thing. Malone and the guys told me before. The only tasks that the recruits were allowed and sometimes ordered to take over are taking guarding shifts at the cells when the soldiers had something other to deal with. I don't know what else would require so many soldiers at once but they also make a big secret out of it. I assume they practise or something.

The general told me this morning at parkour training to get the rest of the day off from training to get ready and then take over the noon and the night shift. There are no real prisons on Alatis. The people I am going to be guarding are sentenced to death and only wait for execution, like everyone who only narrowly infringes the Alatis Laws. For example it's commonly known that you can not be executed under age which is 21 and that 12 is the age of criminal resposibility. So, I expect to guard young criminal goners.

It's Malone's order to get me to get me there and tell me what to do, after that she is told to return to the training.

"It's such an honour to be ordered that early. I am a little jealous - I was ordered when I already had been in training for 6 weeks and you come, train 2 weeks, are totally fine and in best shape and then already get an order! But I am fine with that. You're cool and you probably deserve it."

Malone keeps talking on our way to the cells. I take over the shifts because the soldiers who normally are there have other, more important orders. I wonder what there could be that suddenly requires a whole lot of soldiers. But it's none of my business anyways.

We finally arrive at the entrance door to the cells section.

"Okay, you know, actually you don't really have to do much. It's like waiting for an order in the training sessions. You don't move, you pay attention, you don't talk - you watch. You are in sector 2 of 4. It's like a hallway with some rooms, only that the rooms have glass front doors.
From time to time, a soldier will check in or bring some detained persons or get them out. We call them Goners. You know, they still work somehow. I don't know. You just stand in the middle of the hallway and don't move. They will tell you when to leave with your holo. They're are linked and can communicate with you. You get it? Any questions?"

Malone looks at me encouragingly and serious at the same time while the tucks on my uniform to get it in the right place. I nod. I am not sure about the fact that the Goners work - but I don't dare asking and I doubt Malone would know any answer.

She hugs me friendly. I have really gotten close to her in the last 2 weeks. I guess she is the only real friend I have ever had and I am glad to know her. I hold her tight for a moment, then we let go.

"Rock that shifts, Newbie!" She smiles, then she turns around and leaves. I look at the door uncertain, but I finally make a step. I unlock it with my ID at the lock pad and I am granted access. I take some time to orientate. In fact, it's not that complicated. The prison section looks like a fork if you look at it from above. You enter and find yourself in the mein hallway. On the opposite sides the are 4 doors, each one to a hallway, a sector with the cells. I enter the second door from the left.