Chapter four

"You can't outrun me Daniel", this didn't stop him from trying. "You're wrong! You're sick in the head! You shouldn't be here, you should be in a grave somewhere! You're not real!" Dan shouted back to the booming voice chasing him in a never ending hallway of memories. "Oh sweet little Daniel just wants to run away and hide doesn't he?" A different voice called from behind. A females voice. "Just please leave me alone! You're hurting more than just me by doing this!". He ran, and ran, and ran, until he did find an end to the never ending hallway. A dead end. The voices inched closer with every hateful word they spat at him. He turned around slowly to be faced with-

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.

It was his alarm going off.

Dan sat up quickly, covered in sweat and tears. Dazed by the dream he looked around to make sure he was really awake and soon things were calm again.

Today he chose not to bother his mum by staying in bed all day. He shut off his alarm and stood up to realize he'd slept in skinny jeans and fell over. "Stupid circulation. No one likes you" he said to himself as he tried to get his legs to wake up.

After a few minutes of laying on the floor and rubbing down his legs to get blood to flow he regained feeling and could start the day for real this time. He got changed into something not slept in, straightened his hair and went down to the kitchen to find his sister 'fixing' something again. "Lila, the table wasn't broken either, what are you doing?" She slowly looked at him again, just like she had last night, "just... eat at the counter. It'll be fine I swear." He chose not to argue with crazy and got a bowl of cereal.

After he'd eaten, it was time to leave for school. This time he won't have to run for the bus because it stopped right as he walked out the door.

He got on and went to his seat at the back like usual and hoped the people from yesterday will have given up on him by now since he's a lost cause. But when the bus reached their stop, it was the exact opposite. The four of them all went to the back and sat with Dan, all greeting him as if they are besties. Dan was feeling a bit confused by this, he didn't have friends, why were they acting like friends?

They got to the school and again the five of them were the last to get off the bus but this time they didn't just need to ask for directions, they walked with Dan and tried starting up conversation with him. Very much failed conversation since Dan is socially inept and doesn't know how to talk to people he doesn't really know all that well. So most of his replies are; "cool", "okay", "that's nice" and really simple topic enders.

They all separated for the first few classes and found Dan at lunch under his tree. It was Phil who asked, "Hey Dan, would it be okay if we sat and had lunch with you?", Dan being the person he is, he said yes out of pure terror that it would've been awkward if he had said no. A very bad habit of his.

They sat in a slightly uncomfortable silence while they ate and Dan watched the leaves like always. It calmed him down and for a second it felt like he was the only one there- "WHAT THE FUCK PJ!", so much for peace. "Chris it's just some pudding." Pj seems to have spilled a whole pudding cup on Chris' crotch, "these are new pants and you know that!". Dan couldn't help but laugh since it was a whole pudding cup on the crotch of his 'new pants'. "Just wipe it off Chris, it's not that big of a deal" Louise tried to tell him but- "I will do nothing of that peasantry stature." Chris said back with crossed arms and an upturned nose. "Oh I see how it is, you want me to do it since I wouldn't kiss you yesterday don't you?" Dan stopped laughing and was wide-eyed "are you two together?" What a dumb question Dan, what was he thinking? Pj and Chris kissed, turned to him and said together, "no homo" and tried their best to keep straight faces but, the homo is definitely there, so their faces didn't stay straight and they both started laughing.

After that Dan learned that the four of them met at a meeting when they were younger for LGBTQ+ kids who needed friends but didn't feel safe coming out at school. He also learned that Louise is a trans lesbian, Chris is bisexual, Pj is pansexual and Phil is gay. He told them that he was also gay because they would find out no matter what and he'd rather tell them formally than have the whole school make gay jokes about him.

Lunch ended and they all walked back together with Dan talking a bit more now that he knew they weren't going to hurt him for being gay. Other reasons maybe. But being gay was not one of them.

They reached the school and things were eerily quiet. That quickly changed when they got egged and all five of them got called awful things. Dan of course dealt with this all the time, but the others didn't. He usually just ignored their comments and walked to the bathroom to clean up, but now he had people to protect. He hurried them all to the boys room and locked the door while they checked to make sure no one else was in there with them.

Dan helped Louise get the shells out of her hair and Louise did the same for him. Chris managed to avoid most of the attack so he was helping Pj while Pj was helping Phil get egg off their clothes and out of their hair.

"This is why I told you guys to stay away. Now that we've hung out they're just going to do what they do to me, to all of you as well.." Dan said to them after getting clean. They chose to stay in the bathroom until the lesson started so they wouldn't be surprised again and just kept it locked. "Honestly, I don't care. They can do what they want but I want to be friends with you Dan. We all do." Phil said looking him straight in the eyes to make sure he knew he was telling the truth. Dan sighed and looked at his shoes, "I'm sorry I dragged you into this torture." No one said anything, instead they all hugged Dan in a big ol' friend-family bear hug.

The bell rang signalling it was safe to leave and so they did, they went to their respective classes and talked while in the halls on their ways to their next classes.

They got to the end of the last class (which they had together) and all decided to ride the bus together and planned to hang out over the weekend.

Dan got home and somehow his sister had managed to take the door off the frame. "She's so small.. how the fuck did she do that?" He thought to himself as he walked past the dismantled door leaning against the wall. "Lila, why is the door not being a door?" He asked as he walked into the living room and found a fixed couch and a sister on it. "The peephole was foggy." "... so you took it off the hinges?" "Duh, what else would you do in that situation?" "I don't know. Clean the peephole?" She didn't say anything after that and just continued to search ways to fix a door on Google.

Dan walked into the kitchen and found the table worse than earlier all over the floor like a minefield and decided not to have a snack. So instead he went to his room and waited for his mum to get home and help knock some sense into his weirdo sister so he could make dinner with her.

☆☆☆
A/N

Ahh idk if I'm making the story go along faster than I should or not but I'm enjoying the character development so far! I hope you are too. And if not, tell me how I could fix it! But not 'fix' like Lila and the table.

Leave me comments on how I could improve and I'll see you soon!

Byeee