Alpha

"Cole, please enlighten me with some good news," Maine drags over the phone.

"Girl, I'm really sorry but I can't get you that passport."

Maine closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. She's been wanting to leave the country for a very long time, trying to get as far away from it as possible.

She feels so trapped in her own country, as everyone has their eyes pried on her shenanigans. She wants to live a normal life where no one can see or judge what she's doing, so she has been begging her father to let her leave the country. However, with her father's protective instincts, he still hasn't let her done so. The farthest he's ever let her live on her own is in a condominium that he bought for her, which is located in a neighbouring subdivision to their ancestral home. So much for being independent, she thought.

Her plan was to get a fake passport made so that her Dad won't be able to trace her. She loves her Dad and all, but he's just become too busy. At first she tried to get his attention by stirring up the media, but she got the people's attention instead - something she truly hated. Soon enough she gave up on trying and decided to just push herself further away from her Dad.

"Kasi naman, don't take it the wrong way but no one wants to deal with the president's daughter. Lahat sila takot sa kung ano ang puwedeng gawin ng Dad mo sa kanila."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Nagbakasakali lang naman ako that it might work."

She pressed the red button on her phone and started to get out of the car. She stands in front of the all too familiar maroon gate. She stares at the two storey house that she called home for many years, and was suddenly hit by memories from her childhood.

She suddenly sees seven year old Menggay - her Mom's nickname for her - running across the luscious green grass. It was a Saturday afternoon and they we're out having a picnic in front of their house. She remembers her Mom making club sandwiches, tossing up a bowl of fruit salad and mixing up strawberry milkshakes for the three of them. The food wasn't really necessary because all she wanted was to spend some time with her parents.

Her happiness is now replaced with anger as she remembers the phone call her Mom received from her Dad, saying that he couldn't make it that day because he was stuck at work.

She looks again at the grass that is no longer green, but is now a neglected shade of brown. Suddenly Maine sees an elderly woman running across the pavement in a blue and white uniform, waving her hands frantically at Maine.

"MENG! MENG! MENGGAY!" the woman calls out.

The gate opens up for her and she was greeted with one of the biggest hugs from one of the littlest person she knows.

"Yaya, I told you to stop calling me that years ago," she says while pinching her cheeks.

"Ay, pasensya na anak. Namiss lang kita talaga ng sobra."

"Ako din Yaya, namiss din kita. Ikaw yata talaga ang dahilan kung bakit kaya ko pang bumalik sa bahay na 'to."

"O, pasok ka na dali. Kanina ka pa inaantay ng Dad mo."

"Aba, ang aga niya today ah. Doesn't he have work...like he usually does," she says rolling her eyes.

Yaya stops Maine in her tracks and holds her arm. She stares right into Maine's eyes causing her eyes to soften towards the old lady.

"Hija, tatay mo pa din 'yan. Oo, marami siyang pagkukulang, pero intindihin mo na lang siya."

Her subtle persuasion makes Maine nod, and she receives a smile back. They enter the house and she anticipates the smell of her Mom's cooking but all she got was the stink of moth balls mixed with old man's perfume. The perfume's smell heightened and she realises that it was her Dad who was quickly approaching her.

"Anak! I'm so happy that you're finally back," he says excitedly, as he gave her a hug.

She doesn't return the hug, but rather she pulls her head away to try and escape from his embrace. Once he let go, he gave her a longing smile.

"Back? I'm just visiting Dad. Can we please just cut to the chase? Why did you have to make me come all the way here? Couldn't you just come to my condo, since sobrang lapit lang naman 'yon dito?"

Yaya nudges her arm, but she doesn't bother to give her any response.

"Come to the lounge, I'll show you why."

As soon as they enter the lounge area, she is greeted with the sight of a young man wearing a black suit. She gives him a look of wondering disgust.

He raises his head and was instantly captivate by the sight of Maine. This makes him rise to his feet and give a small nod as a sign of respect.

"Meng-" before her father could finish her nickname she gave him an annoyed look.

"I mean, Maine. Meet Richard."

Richard starts to walk towards Maine and he lifts up his hand in front of her. She takes it but does not make any eye contact with him. They let go of each other's hand and Maine speaks.

"Tanghaling tapat, naka ganiyan ka?"

His mesmerisation is replaced with annoyance as soon as she let out her comment.

"Maine, be nice. Please," her father pleads.

"Ano ba kasing trip nito? And why are you introducing me to him? Are you really wanting to marry me off to someone just to make me suffer even more?"

"Mawalang galang Ms. Mendoza, pero masyado ka naman yatang assuming to think that I will agree into marrying you."

This hits Maine's pride big time, and she starts to look at Richard straight in the eyes. She crosses her arms and stared at him from head to toe, a subtle way for her to express that she was judging him.

"Maine, lalo naman akong hindi papayag na ipakasal ka sa taong hindi mo kilala."

"Then what is this all about? Please get on with it, and stop wasting my time."

"He's going to be your personal bodyguard Maine."

Tama ba ang rinig ko? PERSONAL bodyguard? Ano nananaman ba ang pumasok sa isip ng Dad ko?

A/N: Next update when we reach 20 (total) votes! :)
Any reactions, suggestions, or concerns, just comment below or tweet me @mtfaulkerson!