Romeo

"She's ready to go home, Mr. Faulkerson. We suggest that you take her somewhere she is familiar. Continue to expose her to people she knows, and are close to. As much as possible, iiwas mo siya sa kung ano ang nakakapag produce ng stress sa kaniya."

Richard continued to run this over and over again in his head. He did not like it one bit; seeing Maine like this, and so he tells himself that he will do everything for her to come back to her senses. He's currently driving her back home. She's been staring out the window for the whole duration of the ride, not making any sound at all.

"Menggay, uwi na tayo," Richard says in a sing-songy voice.

Still, she is looking out the window, not responding. Richard lets out a deep sigh, and continues to drive back home.

-

The car comes to a halt on the driveway. Richard removes his seatbelt and turns to remove Maine's. However, as he catches a view of her, he pauses and examines her. She is still turned to her side, as she gazes at the world outside the window.

This allows Richard to see her sunken cheeks, evident that they've either starved her or that she chose not to eat at all. She had a bruise above her left brow, showing that she either tried to fight her way out or that they hurt her for no reason at all. He places two fingers on her chin, and turns her to face him. She doesn't resist, but instead, she looks straight into his eyes. He sees how emotionless she was, though inside he knows that she's hurting.

"Menggay, diba sabi mo sa'kin dapat inilalabas ko ang mga hinanakit ko. Please do the same Menggay, makabubuti 'yon sa'yo," he pleads with his voice breaking.

Gusto kong sabihin sa'yo lahat. Pero hindi ko kaya. I'm stuck inside, RJ. Help me, please.

No reply. He allowed his tears to fall, giving her the permission to see him in this state. He looks at his fingers on her chin and notices her beat up lip. Her bottom lip has doubled in size, and he can only imagine her complaining about it, if only she was "alive".

He let go of her chin, but she doesn't let go of her stare at him. It was as if she was trying to call him, but she couldn't do so with words. She was suffering inside, but she couldn't do anything about it. He notices her eyebrows scrunching, and starts to hope that she was coming back to her senses.

"Menggay, what's wrong? May masakit ba?" he asks, his voice full of concern as he places his hand on her arm.

Oo, RJ, alam kong masakit, pero parang hindi ko maramdaman. Ang gulo, oo, at hindi ko din maintindihan.

Richard pushes the button to release her seatbelt. He opens his car door and walks over to open hers. He helps her out of the car, aware that her body had bruises all over. She starts to walk but Richard felt her knees start to give way. She touches her leg, letting out a whimper.

"Bubuhatin na lang kita. Para di ka na masakatan."

He lifts her up, and slightly struggles while doing so.

"Bigat mo pa din," he jests.

Kung kaya ko lang, binigwasan na kita.

-

"O, mga anak, sige na dumaretso na kayo sa kusina. Nakahanda na ang pagkain," Nanay motions to the kitchen.

"Ano na 'Nak, kamusta na si Menggay?" she pulls Richard closer to her, so that Maine wouldn't hear.

"Ganun pa din 'Nay. Tulala pa din, parang wala lang nagyayari sa paligid niya."

"Alam na ba niya ang nangyari sa-"

"'Nay! Shhhhh, wag po muna. Alam ko hindi pa po niya kayang marinig 'yan. Lalo na't ganiyan ang kalagayan niya ngayon."

"Nako, Richard. Kailan mo naman ipapaalam sa kaniya 'yan? Malalaman at malalaman niya din 'yan. Kaya, maigi na 'yong ngayon mo na sabihin."

He looks over to Maine who went ahead of them and sat at the dining chair. She slouched on the chair, both hands on the table as she stares and fiddles with them. She looked as if she hasn't interacted with anyone, fascinated over everything and anything. Richard ached as he imagined what she would do if she found out about her father's death. He was conflicted as he didn't know if the knowledge of her father's passing will end up doing her good (waking her back to reality) or bad (still not being able to respond). He decides that it's best to keep it from her until the funeral.

"Siguro, sa libing ko na kang din po babanggitin."

This earns him a nudge on the back of his head from Nanay.

"Aray! 'Nay naman, para saan 'yon?"

"Plano mong ipaalam sa libing? Nagiisip ka ba, Richard? Edi lalo nang napasama ang sitwasyon kung ganoon? Ano 'yon, 'ah Menggay, patay na ang Dad mo, at oo nga pala, nagyon din ang libing niya.' Ang masokista mo naman!"

She said this not realising that she raised her voice. Her whole example resonated to the kitchen, and Richard could not will himself to look to Maine's direction. She was probably crying, bawling her eyes, or maybe even pulling strands of her hair. Not only this, but seeing her in pain about her Dad's death will only emphasise the pain that he's been feeling as well. He wants to stay strong for her, and that's why he's been disregarding the thought of his death, quickly pushing it to the back of his mind whenever he remembers. He didn't want to let her see him cry, because she's already so weak and vulnerable, that it won't help seeing him the same way.

He finally looks over, only to see her staring at their direction, her face unexpressive. He walks over to her, with Nanay following his footsteps. He crouches so that he is levelled with her, takes both of her hands and starts to massage them.

"I'm sorry," he expresses as he stares into her blank eyes.

Patay na si Dad, pero bakit wala pa din akong maramdaman?

A/N: Grabe kayo...grabe kayo talaga. 10.2K reads + 1.1K votes! Maraming, maraming salamat po! I know I keep saying it...but seriously, thank you!