Golf

It was her sixteenth birthday. A teenage girl's most exciting event. It's not a very Filipino thing to throw a sweet sixteen, but Maine has watched too many Western movies to stir up a desire for her to have one.

There would be cake, an abundance of food, and lots of presents. But she wasn't looking forward to any of those. Her Dad promised that he was going to attend the party. She didn't expect that he was going to do so because he was in the middle of his campaign, but he's apparently canceled all of his meetings just for her. He just couldn't cancel one meeting in the morning, a meeting that her mother also had to attend. They promised her that they were going to be quick, and that she should just busy herself. "We'll be back in no time," she remembers them saying.

Until it was already 4pm, guests were going to come in an hour and they still weren't back. She can't help but feel betrayed. Not by her father because she expected him to not keep his promise. But by her mother, who always told her that she was never going to leave her hanging.

It wasn't until Yaya came rushing into her room. Maine was playing with the frills on her dress, trying to keep her tears inside, as to not ruin her makeup. The door bursts open with Yaya panting at the sight of Maine. They both stared into each other's eyes, Yaya with a sad expression, while Maine exhibited shock.

"Menggay," Yaya says in a quiet voice.

"Yaya, if the guests are here already please send them away. Mukha namang pinagpalit na talaga ako ng mga magulang ko sa trabaho."

You wouldn't really expect this to come from a sixteen year old. But all those years of feeling alone have taught her how to self pity.

"Maine," she says to her holding out her hand.

No one usually calls her Maine. They would always call her Menggay, unless it was a very serious situation. Maine instantly felt cold and nervous at the sound of her real name.

Yaya turned and started to walk away, giving Maine the signal to follow. They walked side by side, down the stairs, towards the lounge where all of their other kasambahays were seated. They were watching the television, and Maine didn't understand why she had to join in. Until she heard the news reporter's finishing line.

"Mrs. Melanie Mendoza, wife of presidential candidate Nathaniel Mendoza, has been shot in a parking lot of an office building in Ortigas. She was declared dead at exactly 3:30pm."

Everything else went inaudible after that for Maine. All she felt was that the room started closing in on her. She was trying to shout but she herself couldn't hear anything coming out from her mouth. She saw everyone running around her, and some waving in front of her face. Yaya was shaking Maine's body, and Maine can make out that she was calling her.

Her mother, her best friend, her assurance; is now gone. And to think that she started to feel betrayed by her a few minutes ago.

-

*THUD*

Maine was slightly awoken by a loud sound that seem to have come from the front door. She doesn't open her eyes, thinking that she was just dreaming. A few second later her eyes shoot open at the sound of a man.

"Ms. Mendoza! Ms. Mendoza! Are you ok?"

She sees him standing there, wearing board shorts and a tank top. Worried, being an understatement for the expression plastered on his face.

"What are you doing in my room?" she exclaims, covering her body with the white sheets.

"I-I thought..." his voice trailed off.

"You thought what? Sandali, did you just break down the door?"

He starts to scratch the back of his neck, and duck his head.

"Maybe."

"Obstruction of property. Why does my father trust you so much?"

"Ms. Mendoza, I was simply going to knock on your door as I passed by, when I heard you starting to scream. I simply had to break down the door kasi hindi ko alam kung anong nangyayari. I thought you were in danger."

Maine's panic started to subside as he explained himself. She remembers dreaming about her sixteenth birthday, the day that her mother died. She figures that her screams from her dreams had crossed over to reality.

"Oh," was all she had to reply.

"You wanna come and have some breakfast now? I'm making my way over there."

She gets ready by washing her face and brushing her teeth, while Richard sat on the front steps of her room. He looks over to his side and examines the broken door, thinking of an explanation that he was going to give the resort later. She walks out wearing a white cover up over her swimsuit. Cole already left yesterday, as she still had to go to work. "Ako, kailangan ko pang maghanap-buhay para maka survive, kaya ba-bye na," they both recall her announcing.

They make their way over to the dining area, passing by the reception to let them know what happened to the door. They gladly allowed Maine to move to another room. They insisted to pay for the damage, but the resort protested that it wasn't necessary. Most probably because they were faced by the president's daughter.

"One, of the things I hate about being known as the daughter of the president; I get away with things that other people wouldn't," she tells Richard as she crosses her arms and rolls her eyes.

Richard is amazed by this. She may have showcased herself to be an arrogant brat, but deep inside, she still had some humility left.

They enter the buffet and were swiftly greeted by Richard's family waving at them.

"Sa table na namin ka umupo."

"Sandali lang, family mo? Hala, pinapunta mo pa talaga dito?"

"Ano ka ba. They were already here before we were. It just didn't cross my mind na andito nga pala sila."

"Hindi ka sana sasama? Bakit?"

"I'm looking at the reason why," he says as he kept eye contact with her.

They reach the table and Richard starts to introduce his whole family to her.

"Maine, this is my family. Here's my Lolo, Lola, Papa, my brother Roland and my little sister Rosie. Everyone, eto si Maine."

Richard's father gets up from his chair and steps over to Maine. He vigorously shakes her hand, which she didn't mind at all - she's basically used to strangers shaking her hand.

"Nako Ma'am, maraming maraming salamat po sa tatay niyo. Pakisabi na lang po sa kaniya na sobra ang pasasalamat namin sa tulong na ibinigay niya sa amin. Salamat po sa pamilya niyo."

"Maine na lang po Sir," she replies as if she didn't hear anything else from him.

He gives her a nod and makes his way back to his chair.

Bakit ganoon na lang ang pasasalamat ng Papa mo sa Dad ko, Richard?

A/N: Continued po ang "meeting the family" sa next chapter. Richard also starts to talk about his life to Maine,"to return the favor, of course," Richard argues, but deep inside we all know na gusto lang din naman niya.

Hindi ako makapaniwala with what I'm about to say. Next update in 120 votes (as I still need to do some major writing catch up)! Grabe, thank you so much for your support!