One.

The roar of the crowd rushed through my ears. People gripped the mesh cage surrounding my opponent and me, screaming slurs and encouragements alike. Bets were being placed and alcohol consumed. For these people this was all entertainment, a game.

I squared up, trying to block it all out. I couldn't afford to lose. Other people needed me too much. I stared at the boy across from me. He was a mix between a witch and a wolf. As an angel and vampire mix, I would be just as fast, but he would be stronger. My chances were good given he had enough cursed silver running through his body to render his witch magic practically useless. We both did.

"Up next, Sang." The crowd gave a mix of boos and cheers at my name. "And Dexter!" He got more cheers, but there were still a couple boos.

The whistle went off, and the fight began. I waited for him to come to me, then dodged at the last second, pulling my wings in tight. He crashed into the cage, but recover quickly, jabbing out with his hand and scraping me across the chin with his claws. I hissed at him, baring my fangs. He was good. Faster than I had predicted.

"What are you gonna do, little girl? Bite me?" Dexter sneered, riling the crowd up. In that second of distraction I went for him, punching him hard in the stomach. He stumbled, and I followed with a blow to his temple. Dexter staggered back but remained standing. He glared at me with glowing gold eyes, and I took a step back. Before I could prepare myself, he pushed me across the arena into the other side of the cage. He swiped his claws at me, drawing lines of silvery blood across my chest. Pain exploded and I wheezed out a scream. Dexter came in close and spit a glob of saliva and blood onto my cheek. He put his lips to my ear.

"You're not winning this fight, little girl." I turned my head and bit hard into his neck. His blood was disgusting, and I knew I would be sick later with all the cursed silver I was ingesting. He pushed at me and tried to wrestle away but I held tight, draining him untill he no longer put up a fight. The crowd booed- the humans present liked to see fights won by fists- but I only cared about surviving. Dexter had dropped to his knees and struggled to keep his eyes open. I delivered him a blow to his head and he was out like a light.

The announcer counted down from three and the fight was over. One of the handlers entered the cage and held my hand high in the air. I used the other to wipe blood from my mouth.

"The winner is Sang!" She called, much to the crowds dismay. Most hadn't been betting on me. I looked out at the crowd, and my gaze was drawn up. There the wealthy sat, drinking expensive alcohol and smoking cigars. I noticed two men sitting near the bottom of their section. The were both young and dressed in suits. One had perfectly cut brown hair and glasses framing silver eyes. The other had waiver brown hair and eyes like fire. Both were staring intently at me. I locked eyes with the fire-eyed one.

I felt something then, both terrifying and exhilarating. And from his expression, he felt it too.