Anna's Final Letter - Chapter 5

Anna's Final Letter - Chapter 5:

I am not needed in court today, so instead I decide to take a walk in the woods.

I make my way down the steep hill, following the vague path that Anna and I had worn onto the forest floor from many trips down here. I'll never get to walk with her again. When I reach the bottom, I stop and turn around out of habit; I usually help Anna down. But she's not there. No Anna, no ghost of the past, no movement, just nothing. I turn around again and continue walking, staring at the ground.

I pass the field where we used to camp out in, where we used to lay under the stars, where we used to fish in the nearby pond. I softly laugh to myself at the memory of Anna pushing me in and then me dragged her in with me. She was never afraid of water, and she was an amazing swimmer - she won various medals in county competitions for our school. I couldn't get my head around how she couldn't escape from the car.

I reach the tree we used to climb together, and I place my hand over the carving we had made of our initials and the heart around them before starting to climb the tree.

When I reach the place in the tree where Anna and I used to talk for hours on end, I sit and admire the view of the woods, the fields, the town and the houses. I had never noticed the landscape before as I was too absorbed in Anna and I's conversation and looking at her heart-shaped face, her big blue eyes, her small nose, her medium-sized mouth, her slender neck and her delicate hands. I could have spent forever just looking at her, but there was always a text from her father at some point demanding to know where she was and ordering her to 'come home right now'.

I spend hours remembering everything about her. I recited her favourite things: her favourite colour (green), her favourite book (Noughts and Crosses Series by Malorie Blackman), her favourite meal (Indian, which I would attempt - and fail - to make her every time she visited), everything.

It was beginning to get dark when I decided to come down from the tree. I made my way out of the woods and back to my house, stopping at the church's cemetery to kiss Anna goodnight, laying a daisy (her favourite flower) that I had picked from the field on the ground that she rested underneath.

Nothing lasts forever. Life isn't always good, and sometimes it can be brutally cut short. Many people, including myself, believed that Anna and I were soul mates, but even soul mates can be torn apart. Death can be cruel.

When I arrive home, I eat the remaining pizza from yesterday and then wash the plate up. Anna and I would always wash and dry the dishes once we had eaten my failed curry...

The stairs creak and moan under my weight when I head up to my room, and I hear my Dad call out "Blake? Marion?"

       "It's me, Dad."

       "Oh, Blake. I have good news," he began semi-enthusiastically. I doubt it was that good judging by his tone of voice. "Work will begin on a new barrier in between the road and river next month."

I sigh. Too late to possibly save Anna. There was nothing there to slow her car down.

My Dad looks at me sympathetically. "Son, I know you're upset about Anna, but now there shouldn't be another accident like it."

I sigh again and shrug. "I s'pose so."

He let me go. He knows that I won't often speak to anyone with more than a few words. He had passed on the well-wishing and sympathy messages from all of the people at my school and the town, to which I only replied "Send my thanks." It's been almost a month since I had begun to slowly become a recluse.

Closing my door behind me, I sit on the floor with my back against it. I want to prove that it was Anna's father that killed her, somehow I know it was.