22

"You said you love me, Vivian."

Silence.

He would have no other choice but to hang up when he notices I have no reply. Unable to speak, I nervously pushed my fingers through my hair.

"Hello? Vivian?" He tried again. "I know you can hear me." He was certainly unprepared to give up.

God, it couldn't be normal for a heart to beat this fast. I was struggling internally with myself. I didn't know what to say. I wasn't sure what to say. Perhaps I should hang up. Oh go no! I should simply be decent and just give him an answer.

Struggling to get my bearings, I finally said, "Right." Followed by another long pause. "Well...I'm just glad your ear works. Now if you'll excuse me. I have some moving to do."

"What?" He seemed shocked. "We need to talk."

"I'm not sure I feel like talking to you at the moment."

What had he expected? Did he really think I'd be gushing over how crazy he drives me and running back into his arms. Surely not after last night.

Exhaling, he said, "Vivian I get it. I was an arse and you're angry with me. Rightfully so."

"Seems like the latest trend around here." I eyed Aaron as I picked up my bag and approached the front door. "Look I have to run. Bye." I hung up before he could get another word in.

§

It seemed quite bizarre the way people's lives could change in the space of months. I'd moved twice, lost my git of a boyfriend, my lovely flat and flat mate. My happy life had crumbled before my eyes like sugar cubes dropped in hot tea and I had no one to blame but myself.

Having called it a night in a huff, I spent the next few hours on Natasha's uncomfortable, itchy sofa, tossing and turning and listening to the noisy traffic continuing outside the window.

Thanks to Natasha, I wasn't on the streets with my belongings, waiting till I heard back from the letting agents I'd contacted. Although between Tasha and I, we had done a fair amount of unpacking, and it had been kind of her to give me a place to stay, I couldn't get too comfortable. Who knew when next I'd be forced to pack my belongings and find somewhere else to rest my hair.

Gritting my teeth in exasperation, I resisted the urge to bawl my eyes out. I flipped over me pillow and punched it into shape. It was quieting down now, and still I couldn't sleep.

Three o'clock came and went.

Then four. And five.

I couldn't help but wonder what Harry was doing now.

He would most likely be out for the count, obviously. Like any normal person. Possibly with Jane, I was reminded. I needed to face reality, the chances that he was lying awake fretting about me were an unequivocal nil.

§

The next morning I didn't wake up until gone twelve, partly because I was exhausted but chiefly because my alarm clock was still packed away in one of the boxes I hadn't got round to tackling yet. The good news was that I had three days off work, so it didn't matter.