Chapter Three

Dress to right is the dress Maroon wears for the dinner.

“What?” Paisley roared, staring at Caleb, in shock. “She’s human Caleb! She can’t stay with us. Where did you find her anyway?” Paisley looked back at Maroon with disgust.

Caleb growled at her. “Paisley, I am sick of this constant attitude and rudeness with you. So what if she is human. There are plenty of humans in our pack right now.”

Paisley glared at Caleb again, “So, those humans are only there because they are mates of other wolves. We can’t just let some human in to the pack without a mate. It’s against the rules!”

Maroon watched as Caleb stared at Paisley with a hard glare, almost as if he was telling her something. What though? And what is a mate?

Maroon awkwardly moved side to side as Caleb continued to stare down Paisley. Gasping, Maroon then remembered her neck was still exposed for everyone to see. So quickly, she pulled up her hood from her sweatshirt. Also hoping to go unnoticed. 

Paisley flickered her eyes to Maroon’s green ones and looked her over, “Her? She’s human Caleb.”  

People have been saying that quite a bit. That was never an issue back at the manor, her home. With Viva. Viva always loved she was human, she was special that way. Different.

“And she is part of the pack Paisley. So treat her as part of the pack. Do you understand?” Caleb replied, his voice low and threatening. Maroon took a step back from Caleb, not liking the anger in his voice. He looked to her and winked, giving her a small smile. She returned the smile. 

Paisley then screamed and stomped towards the house. Caleb returned his arm to around her shoulder and started to pull her towards the house. 

“Caleb, wait a minute.” Maroon said, stopping. Caleb turned to look at her curious. “I don’t think this is the best idea. I feel like I’m intruding, maybe I should–”

“Maroon, don’t worry about it. You will be fine and before you know it you’ll feel at home.” He said, before then pulling her towards the house. 

Each step closer, Maroon’s heart beat got faster and her palms started to sweat as she clench and unclenched them. She bit her bottom lip a few times, and before she knew it, they were walking up the porch.  

Caleb pushed open the door and dozen’s of faces turned towards them. A few looked curiously at her, few smiled at them, and most grinned at Caleb. 

“Oh Dear! Welcome home baby!” An older woman said, walking towards them with her arms open. Caleb let go of Maroon’s shoulders to hug the woman back.

“Nice to be home, Ma.” Caleb replied. So this was his mother then. She was tall with long golden hair that was braided down her back. When she released Caleb, she then turned to Maroon.

“So this is the human girl I am hearing so much about.” She said, smiling. Even with the smile on her face, Maroon started to feel unwanted again. They kept referring to her as the human. Why did they always have to emphasis the word?

“I’m Ami. Caleb’s mother.” Watching the woman, Maroon stiffened as she proceeded to wrap her arms around Maroon. Ami smelled of cherries. Awkwardly, Maroon just patted her back and looked at Caleb desperately. He smiled, easing Maroon’s unwelcome feeling.