Chapter Nine

Maroon's fingers pressed against the white and black keys of the piano as she hummed along to the song she couldn't stop playing. She didn't want to forget the song, ever, now that she remembered it, and the feel of the keys soothed her to no end. Caleb didn't seem to mind either that she only played that one song , as he started to hum along as he looked through the papers. 

Caleb had explained to Maroon he wanted to find out who her family was and where they lived, so he could then contact them and maybe reunite Maroon with her family again. Maroon was excited about the idea of finding her family again, because she couldn't remember a think about them. All she learned looking through the papers was her mothers name was Lucille Baitmen, but Caleb was determined to find out her maiden name. 

Finishing the song again, this time Maroon didn't start again, instead she got up from the bench, yawning, and walked to the couch opposite of Caleb's. She plopped down and sunk into the cushions, smiling happily.

"You don't have to stay up with me. You can go to bed." Caleb spoke, his blue eyes meeting hers as he looked up from the paper he held in his hands. 

Maroon closed her eyes and shook her head no. To be honest, Maroon took comfort in Caleb's presence and felt safer with him close to her. Maroon heard Caleb laugh and mumbled an okay, before her mind thinned out and she fell asleep.

Maroon felt a chill through her body as she looked around to find herself inside a living room that seemed some what familiar. Soft hard wood floors with lilac walls, a white couch and chair in the middle facing the wide, large window that out looked the green grassed backyard that had a pond and a slide with an accompanied swing. It looked like  child’s paradise.

Suddenly a loud, sharp crash shot out of nowhere, startling Maroon. She heard shouts and in came a tall man with black and grey short hair. He looked angry as he made his way into the living room and pacing around. A minute later, a short woman with long, dark brown hair came in, her face angry as well.

She stomped over to the man and started to yell at him. Maroon could feel there angry and hear their loud, angry voices, but she couldn't understand the words, it was muffled somehow.

Suddenly the woman slapped the man across the face violently. He turned his head at the blow, but otherwise it didn't effect him. He then stormed out of the house and made his way down the driveway to his car. 

"Daddy!" A new voice screamed. Maroon turned her head as a little girl around 8 years old came running into the room. Her dark brown hair was made into two, clean braids that fell to her shoulders. In her hands she held a white teddy bear with two black smiling eyes. Her green eyes turned to her mothers who just walked towards her, shouting at her, before leaving to the kitchen. 

The little girl, who Maroon finally recognized to be herself, shot to the front door and made her way to the drive way where her father was pulling out. Maroon watched from the window as the little girl screamed her for her dad, begging him not to leave her. Maroon herself, felt tears fall from her eyes as she watched the littler girl fall apart at the absence of her father.

The woman came to the front door and shouted for the little girl to come back inside, but when she didn't the woman went out and grabbed the little girl roughly, causing her to drop her bear, and be pulled her back into the house forcefully. Tears poured from the little girl as she was dragged into the house. She begged for her father when her mother suddenly hits her on her small, soft face. The little girl screamed as her mother threatened her before locking in her room for the night, not even to be fed.

Maroon felt the most excruciating pain in her chest. She tightened her hands into fists and placed them over her heart, groaning in pain.