Chapter Ten

Maroon felt empty, guilty, broken, shattered, and angry. She stared expressionless, almost zombie like at the wall. There was nothing of interest on the wall, but she couldn’t find the strength to look anywhere else. 

Her arms felt limp at her sides, her face froze in pain. Her legs were curled up against her chest, her eyes red from crying for so long. She was out of tears now though, since the moment she realized Olive was dead, she couldn’t stop. She wanted to keep crying, keep mourning, but she couldn’t, she couldn’t feel or do anything. She left broken.

It had been three weeks since her sister had died. Last Monday was her funeral. We had buried her in the neighborhood cemetery underneath a beautiful willow tree. Maroon remembered her sister always liked willow trees, their movement and beauty. At least she could be somewhere happy for the rest of her existence. 

It didn’t ease the pain at all though, Maroon kept feeling guilty and responsible. If she had only stayed put and waited for Caleb to come with her, she could’ve avoided killing her sister, she could of saved her and protected her. She failed. 

“Maroon?” Caleb’s voice called out as he entered the room cautiously. Maroon and Caleb haven’t spoken much since Olive’s death. She isolated herself inside her room, only coming out to get food. Even then she is quick about it. She hates the sympathetic looks people give her. She doesn’t want sympathy, she wants Olive back.

Caleb carefully closed the door behind him and he walked over to the bed where he sat next to her. He sighed, watching her as she didn’t move or look at him. She could easily be compared to a statue.

“I noticed you haven’t left the room at all today and no one has come upstairs. You must be hungry, it’s nearly nine o’ clock.” Caleb stated, frowning sadly at her, worried. 

Maroon didn’t reply, she was hungry, but she didn’t want to eat. She knew she’d just throw it back up. She stayed a statue.

Caleb sighed before he suddenly grabbed Maroon’s wrists and pulled her from the bed. She let out a squeal in surprise as she crashed into Caleb’s chest. He held her waist and hugged her tightly.

“I am so sorry Maroon this happened to you and I wasn’t there to stop it. I know you are in so much intense pain, but you cannot blame yourself. It wasn’t your fault. I know you need time, and I will give you time, but that doesn’t mean you can simply isolate yourself in here forever. You need to get out, eat something of Christ’s sake. I won’t let you destroy yourself over this!” Caleb’s voice rose towards the end, leaving Maroon staring wide eyed up at him. 

She thought. Part of her wanted to ignore him and do exactly what he told her not to. She wanted to isolate herself forever, starve herself to no end, let herself be destroyed, but she also knew she couldn’t. Lamely, Maroon thought back to the hundreds of movies she had seen and the thousands of book she had read. People, even if they were fiction, have dealt with her pain too. They wanted to isolate themselves too, but of course soon enough they realized they couldn’t. Yes, they would mourn, but not forever. They would move on, become happy again. They wouldn’t forget that person, just make a special place in their heart and always know that person will always be apart of them. 

Maroon couldn’t give up.

“You’re right.” Maroon whispered, looking up and meeting his blue eyes. He looked surprised, but smiled her answer.

“Really? Didn’t think you’d side with me so fast. Thought I’d have to annoy you.” Caleb joked, chuckling a bit. Maroon looked eye level at Caleb’s shaking chest. She then wrapped her arms around his waist, placing her ear to his chest, listening to his heart beat.