Chapter Seven

Maroon stared at her fingers, in twining them and un-twining them over and over. Hearing that Caleb didn’t have a mate, Maroon felt confused and hurt. She didn’t know much about mates, or werewolves for that matter, but that didn’t stop the fact of what she felt when Caleb was near, or the shocks she felt when he touched her. 

Was there something wrong with her? Maroon never did ask Caleb if he felt the shocks too, but thinking back to when they first touched, his surprise as well. It was no coincident, or is it? Could Maroon be his mate?

Laughing sarcastically, Maroon shook her head. “No, that’s insane.” Walking to the balcony, Maroon leaned on the rail. Her thoughts cleared as she hummed a soft lullaby to herself and closed her eyes, letting the cool wind caress her face.

Maroon...

Maroon nearly jumped out of her skin as she heard Viva’s voice call out her name. 

“Viva?” Maroon whispered back, she scanned the area in search for any sign of Viva. She couldn’t see him. “Viva?” There was still no sign of him anywhere.

“Great. Now I’m hearing things too.” Maroon said to herself, shaking her head and placing a hand on her forehead. “I need a drink of water.” 

Maroon made her way downstairs to the kitchen to grab another water bottle then return to her room. Entering the hallway towards the kitchen, Maroon heard a high giggle from down the hall. Maroon rolled her eyes, walking again towards the kitchen, but stopped when she heard the giggling girl say Caleb’s name.

Maroon stopped and listened closely.

“Come on, Caleb. Let’s have some fun. I know how much you like fun.” the giggling girl said, her voice pouty and baby like. Maroon was disgusted. Paisley.

“Paisley, get off.” Maroon clearly heard Caleb order, his voice angry and threatening. Of course Paisley didn’t take the hint. 

“Oh, come on baby,” Paisley replied, her voice lower and seductive. Maroon heard a thud then someone grunt. Before she could sneak away, Caleb came thundering out of the room, nearly knocking Maroon over.

“Maroon? What are you doing down here?” Caleb questioned, his voice not angry or irritated anymore. 

“I was thirsty.” Maroon lamely replied, looking to the left, embarrassed she had been caught eavesdropping. 

“Oh, well, here. Let’s get you something to drink then.” Caleb smiled, taking her hand and walking her to the kitchen. The familiar tingles went up her arm and coursed through her body. She thought back to her idea of being Caleb’s mate. Maroon shot the thought from her mind, deciding to just enjoy Caleb’s company. She tightened her hand in Caleb’s, smiling up at him. 

Making there way to the kitchen, Maroon started to feel a bit uncomfortable as multiple people stared at her interlocked hands. A few smiled, a few stared, and a few didn’t notice. 

Entering the kitchen, Caleb let go of Maroon’s hand and moved to the fridge, grabbing an water bottle from inside. Maroon already missed the feel and warmth of it. Caleb stood back up and handed the bottle to her, smiling sweetly. She took it, returning the smile.