VIII

Since the day under the tree, Madison has yet to ask Corey why he was so mean to her when they were younger, but she isn't sure that she wants to. He probably had family things on his plate and other stress in his life that caused him to act the way he did. And anyway, he's been so nice recently. He runs down to the library to grab a book for her when she is up to her neck in work, and some days he even buys her a hot chocolate on his way back from his job at a supermarket nearby to cheer her up when she is stressed. He hasn't said one bad thing to her, and hasn't even brought up her mum yet.

Madison almost thinks of his as her friend now. He's nice, loyal, helpful, funny and always kind to her. Maybe he isn't that bad after all. She suddenly receives a text from him, which startles her from the depths of her thoughts.

'HEY WANNA COME SEE SOMETHING? I GOT U A GINGERBREAD LATTE SO MEET ME BY THE FOUNTAIN AS SOON AS YOU CAN PLS X'

Madison is slightly confused, but still gets up from her desk, saying goodbye to Karen, who is also working, and pulls on a coat and scarf, grabbing a bobble hat as she leaves the room and pulling it over her head. Corey is sitting by the fountain in the centre of campus with two festive paper cups from Starbucks, both of which have steam rising from them.

"What's all this about then?"

Madison, having downed half of the latte in a few frantic gulps, only now starts to become confused about Corey's sudden invitation. Corey smirks, putting down his coffee and pulling out a Christmas card covered in glitter and a beautiful painting of the night's sky that looks like Corey has made himself. She grins as she takes it in both hands, thanking him.

But that's not all. If her mind isn't playing tricks on her, she feels a pair of lips collide gently with her own. He's kissing her? She shoves him away as soon as she comes to her senses, looking shocked. This is a boy who used to bully her daily, and now he snogs her?

"Mads... I'm sorry! Come back!"

Later, having explained the whole thing to Karen, a shocked and distraught Madison, who has realised that she almost enjoyed the kiss, looks over at Corey's Christmas card to her. It's so sweet, just like him. He looked so upset when she pulled away and ran off earlier- he didn't deserve that, did he? She has no reason not to like him back right? He's only been nice to her since they met each other again on the first day of uni.

'SORRY COREY. WANT TO MEET UP AND TALK?? XXX MADS'