12:27 pm

Youngjae woke up with no one beside him. He looked around for Jaebum, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen. He got up and walked into the kitchen.

"Went out for a walk. Be home later."

Youngjae set down the post-it note and yawned. He made himself a bowl of cereal and sat down in front of the tv.

Even though Jaebum had told him nothing happened, he didn't quite believe him. Youngjae could just tell something had gone down.

Youngjae's phone buzzed and he looked at it.

Incoming call from Jackson Wang..

Youngjae took a deep breath before answering. "Hello?"

"Did you see what Jaebum did to Woojin?" Jackson asked.

"Yeah.. Um.. I was there." Youngjae said.

"Really?! I didn't know Jaebum had that in him. But I understand why." Jackson said. "A lot of people are talking about it." He finished, lowering his voice.

Youngjae groaned. "I hope he isn't getting on any social media, then. He's really embarrassed about it." Youngjae told him.

"Really? He shouldn't be. A lot of people don't like Woojin.. I believe everyones on Jaebum's side here." Jackson said.

Youngjae nodded.

"Well.. I'll go now. Tell Jaebum not to be embarrassed! Talk to you later." Jackson said.

"Talk to you later." Youngjae repeated. He hung up and set his phone down.

Honestly, everything was boring without Jaebum. They had been spending so much time together in the past few months that he almost felt empty without him.

Youngjae called Jaebum.

No answer.

Youngjae sighed. Something was definitely wrong. Jaebum always ignored Youngjae when something was on his mind.

It was hours before Youngjae was able to get a hold of Jaebum.

"On my way home." He texted.

Youngjae heard the door open and he sprang up, racing to the door to meet him like he was a puppy.

"Hi." Youngjae said.

Jaebum just grinned in return and kissed him. "Hi."

"Where'd you go?" Youngjae asked.

"No where, really. Just drove around a bit." Jaebum said, hanging up his coat. Youngjae tipped back and forth.

"Is everything okay?" Youngjae asked.

"Yes." Jaebum snapped. "I already told you. Everything is fine."

Youngjae bit his lip. "No it's not. I can tell, Jaebum." He said quietly.

Jaebum stopped moving. "Sit down, then."

Youngjae hesitated. Was it that bad? Was it so bad that he needed to sit down?

Youngjae sat down at the kitchen table where they had sat last night.

"When my mother called... She called to tell me that my father is sick. He has to go overseas for treatment. And they want me to go with them." Jaebum explained.

"Well you're going to go, aren't you?" Youngjae asked.

"Yeah. But.. I don't know how long it'll take." Jaebum whispered.

Youngjae just stayed still.

"It could be weeks. Months, years. I don't know." Jaebum continued. "I can't put you through that."

"Through what?" Youngjae asked.

"A long distance relationship. You don't deserve that. You deserve someone who can be here with you." Jaebum said, tears starting to spill down his face.

"Jaebum.. please don't do this. We've gotten past so many bumps, surely we can get past this." Youngjae said.

"You might be able to, but I can't. I can't do that to you. It'd never work." Jaebum whispered. 

"Jaebum," Youngjae started.

"Listen to me, Youngjae. It just wouldn't work. You deserve better than me." Jaebum said, through gritted teeth.

"I don't deserve better. There isn't anyone better than you." Youngjae responded.

Jaebum walked over to Youngjae and wrapped his arms around him, pressing his forehead against his.

"Maybe I'll come back. But for now..." Jaebum whispered.

"It's over?" Youngjae whispered back, tears starting to fall.

"D-don't say that. Not yet." Jaebum said, wiping Youngjae's tears with his thumb.

"Can we still be friends?" Youngjae asked, sniffling.

Jaebum laughed. "Of course we can. I don't think I can live without you."

Youngjae squeezed his eyes shut. Maybe if he squeezed them hard enough, he'd wake up. Maybe it was just a bad dream.

"I'm so sorry." Jaebum whispered.

"This isn't your fault. This isn't anyones fault. It's just something that had to happen." Youngjae said through his tears.

"I still have another week until I'm leaving.." Jaebum said. "I promise to make this next week the best week you've ever had." He mumbled against Youngjae's lips.

"Any time I spend with you is the best time I could have." Youngjae mumbled back.