💠6

I groaned as my annoying alarm rang out. I reached over and shut it off. It was Saturday, I didn't have anywhere to be Thank God. Closing my eyes, I snuggled deeper under my comforter determined to sleep through the day Or at least half of it. I was bone crushingly tired.

I had just managed to go back to sleep when I heard my dad calling me.  Oh God! Can't I just have a day to rest?!

' There you are My darling sweet daughter.'  Daddy gushed, a wide smile beautifying his face.

I peered open an eye and stared up at my dad suspiciously.

' I know you want something Dad' I said, while yawning and stretching my tired limbs. I sat up on my bed , with dad seating at the edge of it with his  smile still present.

' Oh my Darling Girl, can't I just comment on how sweet and beautiful you are? '

I narrowed my eyes.

' How amazing and hardworking you are? Did I forget to mention talented as well as intelligent. Smart, gentle, and drop dead gorgeous?' He continued.

' Of course you can and you do. But I know, in fact I feel you need something. Out with it dad'

' Alright fine. You got me. I need you to kindly host some guests that are coming over and by host I mean cook' He grinned.

' Guests? From where?' I said, not liking the mischievous glint in his eyes.

' From somewhere obviously. Now get up and get started, they'll be here few minutes after asr'

( Asr- prayer offered around 3:30_4:00pm).

' But daddy this day is my resting day remember?' I whined, knowing fully well I was going to give in to him. No point arguing you might say. But a girl could try eh?

' I know. I'll make it up to you I promise. I've been putting it off for months now .Do it for your old man, you know he loves you'  he leaned in to give me a kiss on my forehead.

' Finnnee' .

' Great. You're the best daughter ever' Dad said, while walking away whistling to him self.

I smiled, anything to make you happy Dad.

***

' Mama Hannah' I rushed towards her, enveloping her robust bossom in a hug.

' Raya' she hugged me back. ' Your dad woke you up huh? That old man doesn't understand that you need the rest.'

' He doesn't get it Mama' I pouted looking up at her. ' But he said we have some guests coming'

' He did. What would you like us to cook?'

I walked over and sat on my favourite stool .

' I don't know, you decide. You're the chef' I smiled, as she handed me a glass of Apple juice.

' No, you are the chef'

' No mama, you're the chef and I'm the sous chef. You taught me everything I know'

' I guess you're right'. She said cupping my cheek tenderly. ' Your mom doesn't know what she's lost... '

I smiled, trying to blink away the tears that had begun to form.

' You're my mother, Mama Hannah. She's just the woman that gave birth to me'

She said nothing, but the tight hug she gave me told me she couldn't agree more.

' Enough of all the bad memories.' I said cheerfully. ' Let's Cook!'

' Lead the way!'

***

After two hours of toiling in the kitchen. We stepped back to examine our work.

Fried chicken garnished with Chile, green peppers and onions was laid out on our best  serving tray, fried rice on another.  Sautéed vegetables and garlic sauce( a favourite of ours)  by the side.  A huge bowl of fruit juice,  consisting apples, pineapples, grapes and  strawberry  sweetened with a bottle of sprite. Lemonade and date juice in each of the serving jugs.And finally to top it off home made chocolate chip cookies. I couldn't wait!Whoever the guests were they are one lucky bunch!

'Thank you for helping with this Mama Hannah.  You are the best'

'Anything for you darling girl '.

I leaned to kiss her on the cheek. '  I better go and get dressed '

' See you in a few' she called out.

I showered and put on a long printed gown and a black veil.  No make up because I was so not in the mood.  I absolutely dislike having guests around.  Why can't I just cuddle with dad and watch a movie?  I know,  I know,  I'm mean and anti_social but that's just how I am I guess.

'Raya!  Come meet our guest' Daddy called out from the dinning room.

Well this is it,  no going back now.

I hurried down the stairs and walked silently into the dinning room all the while lowering my gaze.  Muttering a 'Salam'  I slid into the chair close to Dad.

'Salam Raya' The Man greeted back.

I looked up and I was met with astonishing brilliant brown eyes.  Call me crazy but they looked familiar to me.  The man was fair skinned and he had white hair with a beard the same colour.  He looked to be about sixty_something  and he had a nice smile.

'This is Raya, My daughter.  She made all the food' Daddy said proudly.

'Dadddd' I whined.

'What?  I'm telling the truth'.  He shrugged.

'Wow!  She's beautiful and she can cook too?  You did a great job Ahmad' The man chuckled.

'I know,  I know Mustafa.  It hasn't been easy but she turned out just fine' Daddy grinned.

I scowled.

'Err..  Where's your son?  He was supposed to come along with you '. Daddy asked.

' He'll be joining us soon if you don't mind '

' Of course not!my house is his house '

Who's house is who's house?  Since when did that start?  I don't want any sloppy,  haggard,  ugly looking somebody in my house.  Thank you.

' He's probably just stuck in traffic.  You know he works in the central area now'.  Uncle Mustafa gushed.  One did not need to use a looking Glass to know that he adores his son.

'Yes I know.  I'm proud of the Man he has become '

' Ah!  He's here.  He just sent me a text '.

' Raya could you please usher him in' Uncle Mustafa asked.

'Sure' I replied as I stood up and walked over to the door.

I opened up and I was met with amazing brown eyes and a smirking face of Uncle Mustafa's son.  He stood casually  leaning against the wall.  He wasn't ugly or sloppy or dirty or a stranger.  Damn Direct opposite. 

'Raya' He said in his captivating voice.

'You! '  I growled.