💠10

Days went by after the dinner I had with Samir. And I am most ashamed to confess that during moments I was less busy or when I had some time to spare, he was always on my mind.

The dinner had gone better than I expected, not that I expected much or  even expected at all. But if I were to have expected, he certainly would have exceeded my expectations. When I was finally able to get over the fact that he had kissed me on my cheek, I relived every single, tiny detail.
From the way his brown eyes shone and his lips curled into that smile, to him opening the car door for me, to guessing about the type of food I would like to eat- which happened to be my favourite. To the way he kept the conversation going, I had to admit he was starting to melt my resolve.

He was so caring and seemingly interested in all I had to say. He spoke of how he adores Daddy, and how he's like a role model to him, he admitted he was a little jealous of how close me and my dad are, that even though he is also close  to uncle Mustafa ( I.e his dad). Their relationship is not as tight as ours.

That earned a genuine smile from me.

He spoke further, telling me how I inspired him and how he had always respected women who were independent. That made the feminist in me swell with pride.

And for a little moment I thought to myself..maybe he actually gets me..

He gazed at me, with something akin to that emotion that I never thought I would evoke in anyone other my dad. I shook my head , willing myself to stop imagining things which could simply not be. Or so,I thought.

He never wavered in showing me how much he cared for me. Since our dinner, which was almost six days ago. A bouquet of red gigantic roses and boxes of galaxy and other assorted chocolates were always on my table before I arrived for work in the morning. Tamar would always giggle and make lewd comments on how he was  taken with me, I'd ignore her of course. In the privacy of my office though, I allowed myself smile.

He had asked me to lunch and  dinner since our date and I had refused him. That didn't stop him though, from calling me twice a day just to check up on me or 'see how I was doing' or sometimes' just to hear my voice' . He would ask about work and I would  tell him what I was up to. He would also ask about Dad and Mama Hannah.

Maybe you should give him a chance, open your heart to him Raya. That little voice in my head cajoled me.

I don't want to hurt him.. I answered her.

Don't allow  fear rule you..

' Raya!'

'Hmm?'

' What's bothering you?' Mama Hannah asked, breaking into my thoughts.

I sighed before accepting the steaming cup of chocolate from her. She tapped the seat beside her, beckoning me to come sit. I stood up and walked over, she opened her arms and I leaned in cuddling into her, feeling her warmth and inhaling her motherly scent.

' I think....I like him'

' Him..who?' 

I rolled my eyes, she just wanted to prolong this.  I sighed before answering. ' Samir'  I muttered under my breath.

' Hmm? I didn't catch that'

' SAMIR'

' Ah!' She dropped her cup of hot chocolate and clapped her hands. ' You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to admit it to your self!'

' Huh? You knew? But how?' I furrowed my eyebrows.

' I know you better than you think' she smiled, cupping my cheek she said. ' He's a good man ..and I think he would be good for you.. Open your heart to him Raya..'