Resentment (6)

Karla Camila Cabello's Point Of View

I turned the keys in the lock on my apartment door, feeling it get stuck in the middle of the way. So, I removed them roughly and inserted another key from the keychain, making in a few instants the door open completely, finally giving me the chance to enter the apartment. I dropped my purse inside the apartment and threw the keys on the shelf near the entrance, and took off my jacket as I walked towards the living room. My head was teeming with everything that had happened hours ago, and even if I tried at all costs to avoid something that would negatively impact me, maintaining some kind of tranquility with her return was almost impossible. Every time I imagined this moment, my attitudes would be superior, almost majestic; and that was exactly what I did, but unlike what I imagined, I hadn't come out totally free of heavy weights on my conscience or hatred in my heart. In an alternative universe created by my mind, I'd show Lauren that I had become someone totally different, that nothing and no one could shake me, not even her, who one day was so important to me.

"You should have stayed in that damn town!" I said out loud to no one.

"Good Morning, Ms. Cabello." Anabel, one of my maids murmured as she approached.

"Good Morning."

"Can I get you anything?"

"Get me something to drink, please."

"But Ms. Kordei said that-"

"Do as I say, okay? Go and get me something strong."

The woman nodded frightened and left the room quickly. Normani besides being my best friend and personal agent, also took care of taking care of me. She dictated some rules in my house to keep everything in order. And one of them was the forbiddance of alcoholic beverages in excess. The employees were totally forbidden to give me any type of drink that had an alcohol content; Normani thought that at any moment I'd go back to drinking incessantly like I used to a long time ago, when I actually had control over it. I went through a bad phase a long time ago, but it had already passed, I had gotten over it. I lay down on the white couch of the living room, letting my body relax on the soft, cozy pillows. I couldn't think about anything else but that woman. Even after so many years, her return had fallen like a bomb on my shoulders.

"Here it is, ma'am."

"Leave me alone now, you can go home."

"What? But..."

"Jesus Christ! Go home, and tell the others to go home, too! I'm giving you the day off and you still question me?" I let out impatiently.

"Okay, I'll leave my number in the kitchen, in case you need something."

"Thank you, Anabel. Now please, leave me alone."

I opened the unopened bottle of Whiskey, it was one of the most expensive that I dared buy, and poured it into the glass, seeing the liquid with such a strong aroma move slowly around the ice-cubes. I put the bottle aside, grabbing the glass from the coffee table to then bring it to my lips. I closed my eyes and savored the drink as soon as it came into contact with my lips and tongue. I needed something that'd make me forget for a couple of hours that that woman was back, and in that moment alcohol was the only thing that could help me. Seeing Lauren in that audience was the most shocking moment of the whole fashion show, it was as if fate was proving that it was the biggest responsible for our lives; and that no matter what we did, if it had a certain path planned for us, it wouldn't matter which roads we followed, because sooner or later what was predestined in the pages of life would happen. And if in the pages of my story Lauren had to appear again, I'd have to know how to show that I had the power to change. I couldn't make the same mistake again and give myself like I did one day. The paths I had traveled from the moment I stepped on that plane, leaving my whole life to run after my dream, were troubled and hard to deal with. And with the combination of all that, today, I was someone quite different.