Truce (9)

Karla Camila Cabello's Point Of View

I stared at her intense gaze, seeing in the green of her eyes the glow that pleaded for a positive response. Her hand still held my arm firmly, preventing me from walking away. As soon as she saw me looking at her hold on my arm, she loosened her fingers around my skin, letting me take a more relaxed posture. I took a deep breath, battling in my thought a battle to accept or not her proposal. To give her a truce would mean to live in peace, would open certain doors that would give her a chance of getting closer to me. Would I be ready?

"I know I don't deserve this, but-"

"You don't." I interrupted quickly.

"I know, but we need this. If you want, we can keep our distance, I just want everything to work out. It's the first real project of my life, Camila. You know how much I dreamed of being a great businesswoman, and I'm so close to it."

As much as I tried to control my thoughts, asking my subconscious to deny that request, something in me prevented me from ruining her work. Lauren has always been hardworking, and I couldn't ruin her chance of having a promising career. She might have been the worst best friend, the worst lover, but she always was hardworking and intelligent throughout her student and professional life.

"Alright, I think we can have a truce." I said as I put a strand of hair behind my ear.

She nodded slowly, letting a brief smile appear on the corner of her well-drawn lips.

"This doesn't mean that we'll have a friendship, okay? We can treat each other professionally, without fights or provocations. I want to do everything as quick as possible to get out of this place."

"Sure, fine by me."

Lauren looked uneasy, as if she was nervous. We were alone on that part of the beach, the rest of the team retreated inside the house to enjoy the break of the photoshoots.

"So..." She whispered somewhat nervously. "Truce?" She asked as she extended her hand in a kind of closing the deal shake.

That deal would eliminate half the acts that I'd probably have in her presence, in that instant I'd be lowering my guard so that Lauren could enter my space, even if professionally. We'd spend days together, sharing ideas, conversations, moments.

"Truce." I said as I joined my hand to hers.

*Flashback On*

I stirred the rosy liquid inside the glass, it was a kind of milkshake, with ice, strawberry juice, condensed milk and vodka, lots of vodka. I took a sip of the extremely cold drink while I stared at the people dancing and having fun by the pool. I wasn't in a party mood, but my friends seemed excited that afternoon, especially Lauren. The girl was all smiles next to her... almost boyfriend. The two didn't unglue for even a minute; Ethan made absolute question of parading alongside Lauren, showing her off to his friends like a perfect trophy. I rolled my eyes tediously and looked away from the perfect couple.

"What's up with that face?" Vero asked as she approached. "You're not liking the party?"

"I'm not in the mood for a party."

I dropped the glass on one of the tables and walked inside the house, being accompanied by the girl. Vero greeted some people who walked by us, and then turned her attention to me. Her bright brown eyes stared at me somewhat curiously.

"What?"

"I'm waiting for you to tell me the reason for your frustration. It can't be that fruit punch, it's divine! I think they put those mints." She said as she rummaged through her glass to look for any trace of mint.