The Suitcase Where It Happens

"I'm free to be the greatest here tonight"

Raven fell though the case after missing a step on the ladder on the way down. Luckily, Newt was there to catch her on her way down.

"Hey," She whispered, wrapping her hands around his neck.

"Hi," Newt whispered back. They were, once again, interrupted by Mr Kowalski falling to the floor of the small cabin.

"Sorry." He apologised as the pair got jolted out of their trance.

"Mr Kowalski, could you sit down here? Thank you." Raven said, climbing out of Newt's embrace. She got set to work looking at all the potions Newt had in his cabin while Newt checked the bite on Mr Kowalski's neck.

"Yep, that's definitely the Murtlap. You must be particularly susceptible. See, you're a muggle so our physiologies are different." He explained, while Raven came over with a mixture and began to dab it on the bite.

"Now, this should stop the sweating," She smiled at him, before turning and grabbing the pills and water she set out while looking at Newt's herbs. "And one of these should stop the twitch." While Raven cared for Mr Kowalski, Newt had started to hack into a piece of meat rather roughly. He shoved the pieces into a metal bucket and handed it to Mr Kowalski.

"Take this." He instructed before beckoning Raven over.

"Hold this," He said, giving her a small glass vile. She complied and Newt pulled out a weird shaped cocoon. He begins to squeeze the cocoon gently and a bright blue liquid seeps into the vile.

"This is the-"

"The Swooping Evil, right?" Raven asked and Newt looked up at her astonished.

"You know about magical creatures?" He asked.

"Yes, they've always fascinated me, but I've never had the chance to see them up close before," Raven admitted.

"Come on then," Newt grinned at her and grabbed her hand, pulling her towards the cabin door. When he opened it, Raven felt her breath taken away. It was absolutely gorgeous; it was like a safe haven for all magical creatures, separated into different habitats to suit the animals. In front of them was a section that looked like the Arizona Desert, but it was raining. Raven gasped as she saw the magnificent golden bird with shimmering wings flew in the air.

"A Thunderbird," She gasped causing Newt to turn to her.

"Yes, his name is Frank." He used his wand to make a magical umbrella and walked towards him. "Come on... come on... down you come." He spoke in soothing tones as the magnificent bird flew down to greet him. As the rains died down, Raven stepped forward to the creature, having left her wand on her bedside table. Newt had started feeding the bird and petting it.

"If you had gotten out, that could have been quite catastrophic." He murmured. Suddenly Frank squawked loudly, before bowing. Newt looked behind him to see Raven bowing to the beast as well. He beckoned her closer with his hand, which she did. She raised her hand out to Frank, waiting for him to allow her to pet him. Raven let out a sigh of relief when she felt the soft feathers gently brushing her hand. She started gently petting Frank, turning to Newt and grinning.

"He must like you. Frank normally doesn't like new people." He said, "You see, he's the real reason I came to America. To bring Frank home." Suddenly, Frank started flapping his wings madly, and the pair turned to see Mr Kowalski standing near them. "Sorry, stay there," Newt told him while Raven comforted the creature.

"There, there Frank. You're okay, you're okay."

"He was trafficked, I found him in Egypt all chained up. Couldn't leave him there. I'm going to put you back where you belong, aren't I Frank?" Newt explained. "Back to the wilds of Arizona for you, Frank." Then, he started roaring in the direction of another habitat.

"Come on." He said, jumping from Frank's habitat. He went to help Raven down, but she had already jumped down beside him. He grinned at her, taking her hand and running off in that direction, Mr Kowalski following behind. The air was filled with the Raven's laughter as they ran around the suitcase.

"Here they come now," Newt said as a rumbling sound could be heard.

"Here who come?" Mr Kowalski asked, excitedly.

"Graphorns," Raven breathed as she saw them running over the horizon. "I thought they were extinct?"

"They are the last breeding pair in existence," Newt said as the creatures walked over to them. A baby Graphorn stumbled over to Mr Kowalski, much to his delight. Newt then pulled the group over to a small tree. On it, Raven realised, where many Bowtruckles. She waved at the small creatures, grinning when they waved back. Newt pulled Pickett from his pocket, trying to coax him to go back to his habitat.

"Come on Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you. You'll be fine." It broke Raven's heart to see Newt trying to push away a creature who loved him so much.

"Let him stay, Newt." She said, putting his hand over his. He sighed, before looking down at Pickett.

"This is why the say I have favourites." He grumbled, before walking to another section. They walked over to a forest and a green nest. Inside where baby Occamies. Raven gasped at the sight of them, bending over the nest to get a closer look. They were freshly hatched, she realised when she noticed the glittering silver shells.

"Would you like to hold one?" Newt asked, gently putting a hand on her back.

"Can I?" He grinned at the child-like delight that filled her eyes, picking up an Occamy. She cupped her hands together and Newt gently placed the snake-like creature in her hands.

"Aren't you just gorgeous," Raven cooed at the baby in her hands while Newt put another Occamy in Mr.Kowalski's hands. He then grabbed on for himself.

"There shells are silver," Newt explained to Mr Kowalski, "So they're poached." Mr Kowalski then tried to pet the creature, causing it to snap at his fingers. "No, no, they don't like to be touched." He put his Occamy back in the nest before taking Mr Kowalski's and doing the same. Newt then turned to take Raven's, only to see it snuggled up comfortably in her hands. She smiled at him, before gently putting the Occamy back. He just smiled at the girl, wondering how lucky he must be to meet someone who loved creature's as much as he did.

"What was the first creature you encountered?" Raven asked, walking over to him.

"Um... hippogriffs, my mother bred them." He smiled at her, "What was yours?"

"The unicorns that lived in the forbidden forest." She smiled back at him.

"You went in there?"

"Well after I read about them, I just had to go and see one for myself. Why? Were you too scared?" Newt went red in the face at her question, causing her to laugh. "Relax Newt, I'm just teasing." He smiled at her laugh, it was music to his ears. Mr Kowalski rolled his eyes behind them, waiting for them to confess their obvious feelings towards each other.