Chapter 16

Olivia's POV

After lots of stores and a lot of bags more, plus the pouty reaction from me, we walked into yet another store.

We were looking at shoes, making jokes about the ugly ones and being amazed at the beautiful ones. I looked around the room and I saw a older woman staring back at me. I looked away quickly to avoid the awkward moment. Every time I would look over at her, she was still staring at me. Matt trusted me a little more so we could separate a small amount. I was walking around. Matt was in a different isle and I saw the lady enter the isle. I started to walk away to go to Matt but the lady grabbed my arm. I turned around and stared at her. I was so scared.

"Are you okay?" She asked. "Are you that girl that got kidnapped? Who is the guy you're with? I heard about you getting kidnapped by my cousin in VA and I know it's you. " I don't know how she knew but I wanted to leave. I didn't want her to follow me though.

I looked her straight in the eyes and said "ma'am, I don't know what you're talking about. I've lived in California all my life and that guy, he is my boyfriend. Ma'am you are hurting me, and I am not comfortable. I'm going to need you to let me go. " she looked me in the eye. She looked so sorry for her mistake and I walked away. I walked up to Matt. I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying but I interrupted him.

"Can we leave? Please. " he looked at me confused, but he noticed my watery eyes. He lead me out of the store and we walked out of the mall. We got inside the car and he looked over at me. I kept my head down, but I needed to tell him.

"Someone recognized me." I whispered.

"What?" He whispered back.

"Someone recognized me. " I repeated louder. He was surprised, but his emotion changed. I could tell what it was, until he said "what did you do?"

I told everything but I don't think he believed me entirely, until I said "can we go somewhere? Where no one will recognize me."

He started driving. He smiled a little, but seemed kind of sad. He put his hand on mine for comfort. We drove for a while, and parked in a parking lot. Next to us, was a diner. The sun was still up, but it would set in about an hour or 2. We walked into the diner, sat down in a booth in the back, by a window.