Chapter 20

Court was awful. Being summer, it was hot and stuffy. You'd think they'd have air conditioning but apparently it was broke. Plus, I had to watch my poor baby sobbing while being questioned and I couldn't do anything about it.

"Donald Way is deemed guilty and will serve three years in prison," the judge declared.

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" I shouted, jumping up to my feet. "He deserves life! He raped his son!"

I was in a sour mood, if you couldn't tell.

I felt hands grab me as the police pulled me out.

"Fuck you!" I yelled.

"Order in the court," I heard the judge saying as he hit his gavel.

The big wood doors shut and the officers looked at me sternly as they crossed their arms.

"Sorry," I muttered, holding my hands up innocently.

I sat on the bench while they guarded the door. A little later, the door opened and Gee ran out into my arms, sobbing heavily. I rubbed his back gently and kissed his forehead.

"What happened with your mom?" I asked.

"Sh-she got four years," he mumbled.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. "Stupid rich, white people. Why's your dad have to be a congressman? Of course he isn't gonna get hardly any time. I'm surprised he got that much time. And your mom too, God, she nearly killed a couple times."

"Th-they said that I seem fine now and there's no real evidence that she's done this my whole life," he mumbled.

"Those motherfuckers," I muttered.

"I'm sorry," Gee whispered.

"For what?" I asked. "There's nothing for you to apologize for."

"I-I'm eighteen so I was given custody of Mikey," he whispered. "I'm his l-legal guardian now. H-he's gonna have to live with us again."

I sighed quietly, wrapping my arms around him as he sat in my lap.

"Baby, it's okay," I said. "Everything's gonna be just fine."

"B-but what about New York?" He asked.

"We'll talk about that later, sweetheart," I said, rubbing his back.

People started filing out of the courtroom. Gee's lawyer sat beside us and sighed.

"I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I tried so hard."

"I know," I said, and he really did try. "I'm not happy but...I guess this is the best we're gonna get."

"I'm sorry," he said again.

He patted Gee on the back reassuringly. Mikey sat beside us, a smile on his face.

"Hello, roommates," he mocked, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

I glared at him, standing up. Gee cried as I carried him out to the car, Mikey following a few steps behind. I set him in the passenger seat and Mikey got into the back. I started driving home, holding onto Gee's hand as he cried.

"Oh shut up already," Mikey muttered in annoyance.

"F-fuck you," Gee whispered.

I looked over at Gee with raised eyebrows and he hid his face in his hands.

"I-I'm sorry, please don't be mad, p-please don't hit me," he cried.

"Baby, I won't be mad and I'd never hurt you, he deserves it," I said, squeezing his hand.