- eighteen -

.:: chapter eighteen - vacate ::.

🌻🌾🌻

Charlie took Tyler and Cara back to their home to let Cara finish getting packed for Sanford. With one final kiss goodbye, Josh was getting ready to go back to his house as Tyler jumped back into his arms and hugged him tightly.

"I love you, Joshie." He said, nuzzling his head into the older boys neck.

"I love you too, Bambi. Be safe in there, and if your mom hurts you again, call for me okay, baby boy?" Josh said, his hands cupping both of Tyler's cheeks in his hands and staring down into the brown doe-eyes he came to love.

"What if you don't hear me?" The brunet asked, a frown edging at his plump lips.

"Then you run to me. I don't want you getting hurt." Josh said with so much sincerity laced in his voice, it physically hurt the brunet's heart.

"Don't worry, I'll be safe, I promise." Tyler softly said, lifting up onto the tips of his toes to press his lips against the older boys.

Tyler's name being called is what broke the two apart, the feminine boy cutely smiled and kissed Josh's cheek before skipping over to his father and sister, waving at Josh when he started to walk back home.

"Ready, bubba?" Cara asked, running her hand through the soft strands of hair. He nodded and followed carefully behind Charlie, who was looking out for Ruth.

Cara helped Tyler up the stairs to his room, not wanting Ruth to spot him since the last time they were in the same room, she kicked him out and left a big bruise on his arm. Charlie scouted the living room for any signs of his future ex-wife, grimacing at the strong scent of alcohol.

"Are you serious, Ruth?" Charlie asked with an angry articulation.

Beer bottles were scattered all over the floor, random stains on the carpet, and in the middle of it all was a barely awake Ruth.

"What?" She sneered.

"How are you going to sit her and drink your life away, when you literally just kicked out your youngest kid and called your oldest daughter too dumb to get into college?" He asked her, crossing his arms over his chest and staring the girl down in front of him.

"He's not my son." Ruth muttered with a role of her eyes.

"I don't think you even qualify to be considered his mom." Charlie sarcastically chuckled. "You kicked him out for finding love in a boy you didn't agree with, are you serious?"

"Cara, dated that girl who ended up going to prison for possession of drugs, but you didn't seem to mind it at all. You over looked it because she was happy. But, you want to kick out our son for finding love in a boy who's only been kept in a holding cell for minor crimes like graffiti, public disturbance, and skipping school?" The older Joseph said questioningly, not quite understanding where the logic in everything was.

"All our lives, we've been dedicated to keeping him pure, keeping him away from the world, and keeping him safe. Now you wanna tell me to let him get into a relationship with a boy who's nothing but trouble?" Ruth shouted back, not understanding Charlie's logic.