Chapter 5

"Sonic..." Shadow growled out after a minute of silence. "What's going on here?"

Sonic didn't really know how to answer that. Shadow stared at him with eyes full of curiosity and growing impatience, wanting to know the answer as to what just happened. He couldn't tell Shadow his secret, but he might actually take it to the grave if he doesn't. Of course, he can't actually die unless killed by another celestial being, but Shadow's anger made him forget that simple fact.

Shadow's ruby colored eyes glared into his own, anger flaring up. "Sonic, you better tell me right now, or else."

"O-Or else what, Shadow?" Sonic stuttered out quite bravely.

Shadow growled. "You don't want to know."

Sonic felt his ears instinctively flatten against his skull. "Okay, you win, Shadow. You see, there's this god that wants you for some reason and-"

"Not about that, faker." Sonic felt himself quiver at Shadow's voice.

"Th-Then, what do you want to know about...?" Sonic tried to play it off like it was nothing.

"Don't play dumb with me, hedgehog." Shadow's voice became more demanding before becoming desperate. "What was with those vines? They've completely destroyed Rouge's house! She's going to kill me!"

Sonic stared at Shadow for a moment before laughing. "Is that really what that was about!?"

Shadow's muzzle was dusted rose when he replied, "Have you seen her when she's angry!?"

Sonic continued to laugh, making Shadow's embarrassed blush grow. The blue hedgehog felt utter relief that the situation was back in his hands. "Haha! If it really means that much to you, I'll take the blame, and her wrath. It was my fault anyway."

Despite being laughed at, Shadow looked surprised. "You will?"

Sonic laughter had died down, and all he had was a gentle smile. "Of course, Shads. It was my fault."

Relief seemed to consume Shadow as he sighed in relief. "How did you do that anyways?"

"Do what?" Sonic forgot about why he was so worried before his laughing fit.

"Those vines." Shadow said. "And why did you act so strange around him? It was like you both already knew each other well."

Leave it to Shadow to not forget any detail. "Uh.... H-How do you know for sure that it was me that controlled the vines?"

"I saw you, Sonic. I'm not stupid." Shadow crossed his arms, his natural glare settling in.

Sonic sighed and looked away. "It's personal, Shadow.... I've never told anyone, not even Tails. I know you want answers, but I can't give them to you...."

Shadow stared at Sonic, his mind still trying to comprehend all that just happened. He sighed, not liking how Sonic looking. He felt something well up inside him that he felt a lot around Sonic. "I... I'm sorry, Sonic...."

"What?" Sonic turned back to his rival, emerald eyes filling with surprise. A warm feeling went through his body at the words of the other.

Shadow felt his muzzle warm at the emerald eyes that looked straight into his own. It was strange; they had locked eyes many times before, but now it was causing him a weird feeling in his stomach, and his throat to go dry. Even he was shocked that he apologized. It was just that Sonic looked so hurt when he was talking....

Their eyes stayed locked for what seemed like forever, both too nervous to say anything else. Finally, Sonic looked around and grinned nervously. "Maybe we should leave. We can go to Tails and I's house."

Shadow simply nodded, finally being able to look away from the gorgeous emerald eyes of the blue hedgehog.

'Wait, what!?' He paused in thought at that strange description. Sure, Sonic's eyes were a strange sight to behold, them always seeming to glow, but gorgeous? He never thought he'd be able to think such things about his blue furred rival.

Not knowing of Shadow's thoughts, Sonic grabbed his arm and ran out of the city and into the forest, where he and Tails lived. He hoped that Heolstor wouldn't find them again until he was sure that Shadow was protected and he was ready to fight. Now that he knows who Sonic really is, it's going to be tough to keep his secret hidden. He just has to hope that Heolstor doesn't say his name.

Shadow glared at Sonic when they finally stopped in front of a shack deep in the woods with a steel garage beside it. "I could've ran myself."

Sonic just shrugged with a chuckle, causing Shadow to roll his eyes.

"Sonic?" Tails walked out of the garage. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, little buddy." Sonic smiled. "I'm just on Shadow watch until this Heolstor thing is solved."

"You make it sound like I can't take care of myself." Shadow implied, crossing his arms.

Sonic just rolled his eyes and brought his attention back to his best friend. "So, how's the research going?"

"It's hard to find these things since the religion hasn't been practiced for hundreds of years, but I found some things that might be important. Follow me."

Tails led the two hedgehogs into his workshop, which had everything he could need. The place was more cleaned up than usual, probably expecting Shadow to be there.

"So, I've managed to dig up the exact words that was said about the resurrection of Farah, since Knuckles thought that it was the reason why Heolstor is acting like this." Tails went up to his giant computer and brought up a document. "One day, Farah will come back mortal, but not by natural processes."

"Not by natural processes? Does that mean..."

"She'd be created scientifically...." Shadow finished Sonic's thought. "Like me."

"Correct." Tails nodded. "It also says that it would take some time before Farah even knows who she is."

"We should find her!" Sonic blurted out, tail wagging excitedly.

"That might be best." Tails nodded in agreement. "That way Heolstor can't get her."

"While that sounds great, how would we find her?" Shadow crossed his arms.

The excited look on Sonic's face fell. "I... I don't know...."

"Maybe we should ask Knuckles." Tails suggested. "He knows a lot about this, after all."

'Yes, but she's mine, and I don't even know.' Sonic sighed.

"Sonic, are you okay?" Tails asked.

Sonic looked to his mortal brother before smiling and putting up his iconic thumbs up. "I'm fine. Let's go find Knuckles."

The other two nodded, and they walked out of the workshop. Before they actually left, though, a rock band was heard. Shadow jumped before taking out his phone.

"Hey, you listen to them too?" Sonic smiled at having something in common with his rival.

"Of course; they wrote a song about me." Shadow smirked before answering. "Hello?"

"SHADOW!" Rouge's scream was so loud that Shadow had to move his phone away quickly. "WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO MY HOUSE!?"