Chapter 9

"I know it's around here somewhere...." The bat glanced around town, seeing all of the old buildings before finding the one she was looking for. Swiftly, she swooped into one of the high windows of an abandoned building.

"Do you really think so?"

"The facts don't lie."

"What's going on here, boys?" The bat smirked as she flew down, landing before the two, one a fox and the other a cat.

They both jumped in surprise. Rouge smirked before resting her hands on her hips. "I don't mean to be rude, so I'll cut this short. I need some documents on your little religion."

"Wh-What?" the cat's blue eyes were wide.

"I'm researching something, and I need information from your stories."

The fox crossed his arms, his bat ears twitching in annoyance. "These aren't stories. They are historical documents written by our ancestors."

Rouge rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, dear. Just hand them over."

"Why do you want to know this stuff?" The cat asked, pushing up his glasses.

"To help a friend." The bad said simply.

The fox glared at her. "That's not anywhere near a good answer."

"Rude." Rouge huffed. "It would also help you more with finding out these Farah and Mahkah mysteries that you've been searching for."

"How do you know we've been searching for that?" The cat questioned.

The white bat smirked, gaining the upper hand. "I work for G.U.N. I know all search histories by a press of a button. I've also found that you've gotten into Project Shadow documents, which are highly guarded. Which one of you hacked into it?"

The cat glanced to the fox, who simply crossed his arms, sunset eyes set in a glare. "What files do you want?"

"Just general information, things about Mahkah and Farah, along with anything involving Farah's resurrection." She then paused for a second. "Wait, aren't you the grocery store clerk?"

"Why does that matter?" The fox sneered.

"No reason." She shrugged as the cat gathered the old, dusty files. "Why are you breaking into Project shadow files, anyways?"

The two glanced at each other, the foxes' eyes in a glare to the other, but the cat spoke up anyways. "W-We have a theory, ma'am."

"What? What kind of theory?" Rouge asked.

The fox crossed his arms and was about to say something, when the cat interrupted him. "We think that Shadow the Hedgehog is Farah! Everything lines up with the evidence!"

"Mark!" The fox hissed.

"Sorry, Devion, but we have to tell someone!" The cat replied.

"I guess it's too late." The fox groaned.

"You think Shadow is Farah?" Rouge asked. "What kind of evidence makes you think that?"

"The legend states that Farah won't be resurrected by normal mortal ways. Shadow was created scientifically." Devion crossed his arms.

"And we've seen him spacing out sometimes, muttering things about Mahkah." Mark spoke up.

"Maybe that's why he's having these dreams...." Rouge mumbled before flashing that flirtatious grin that she was known for. "Well, you two have fun with this theory. Just don't hack into government files again, sweetie."